Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
MVP

Not all Linux distributions are created equally - which is why there is so much variety. The focus for the Ubuntu team is the desktop, of course. In my personal experience, I find Ubuntu to be less stable and more buggy than other distributions I've used; I believe this is because its aggressive development and release cycle.

I don't know if it'll improve folding performance, but CentOS is more relevant on the server side and would be an asset to learn. There should be excellent resources to help optimize a CentOS server.

Like any OS, Linux benefits from optimization. Kill any daemons you don't need. You may also consider compiling the kernel yourself to remove unnecessary features and improve performance.