Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Supposedly they are just around the corner from working again. And according to Dead Things the regular SMP units are considerably faster (20%+) in Linux.
Crap, here we go again,,,,SWITCH!!
Old February 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The board is an EVGA SR-2.
not surprise you have problem, it's not a regular board, my guess is your ioXtreme , as I said it's something the OS expecting to be HP, I'm pretty sure this card is not.. they have a turn around you have to disable the hotplug with the Kernel option : hotplug_disabled=1

check on the link on Enaberif they explain how to do it with other option just replace with hotplug_disable=1
Old February 5, 2011, 03:25 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
not surprise you have problem, it's not a regular board, my guess is your ioXtreme , as I said it's something the OS expecting to be HP, I'm pretty sure this card is not.. they have a turn around you have to disable the hotplug with the Kernel option : hotplug_disabled=1

check on the link on Enaberif they explain how to do it with other option just replace with hotplug_disable=1
I haven't updated my sig yet but the ioXtreme wasn't installed. I'll reinstall later today w/ ACPI off and hotplug if I can figure that out.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try using the onboard jumpers to disable all the PCIe lanes not in use. And try to restrict your PCIe usage to a single IOH - that might help. I know I've seen SR-2 block diagrams before that will tell you which lanes are controlled by what.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 25, 2011, 09:05 PM

My System Specs

Installed Ubuntu Server on my second SR-2 today and disabled APCI in the install options. No longer getting an error. I downloaded folding@home and did what Dead Things suggested here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I don't remember much about Linuxrouter's image, but couldn't you run ordinary terminal commands in it? So all you would have to do is...

Code:
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz
chmod +x fah6
Then, if you run into the same A5 download error I ran into...

Code:
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5960242/FahCore_a5.exe
chmod +x FahCore_a5.exe
So Bob, provided the image accepts regular terminal codes, should thereafter be your uncle.
But I have no idea how to continue. This Linux CLI is like learning a new language.
How do I go about running folding@home?

EDIT: Seems I have got it working.

EDIT 2: How do I go about getting HFM.net to see my Linux machines?

EDIT 3: SOOOO SLOOOOOW. I am getting less than 15k of P6701. Is there anything I need to do to get it to use both CPU's or something?

Last edited by lowfat; February 25, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old February 25, 2011, 10:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You might consider Arch Linux instead. Far more barebones than Ubuntu Server I'd say.

However I have very limited Linux knowledge, so can't help much otherwise. Perhaps you need some kind of optimized kernel for multi-processors?
Old February 26, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You might consider Arch Linux instead. Far more barebones than Ubuntu Server I'd say.

However I have very limited Linux knowledge, so can't help much otherwise. Perhaps you need some kind of optimized kernel for multi-processors?
Linux is linux whether it be Arch or Debian.

Ubuntu runs off of Debian which makes is a great platform but you are right about the SMP part it may not be setup properly.

Lowfat check your /proc/cpuinfo file and see how many processors it lists.. there should be 2 if not then the kernel is not setup for SMP
Old February 26, 2011, 06:48 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I don't know much about the Linuxes either, but when I installed Ubuntu (with the pretty GUI) I used Wubi which created a virtual hard disk, but not a virtual OS (you do a dual boot just like normal, but the Ubuntu used a virtual hdd) and I could use Windows to navigate to the Ubuntu disk and vice-versa. Wubi also downloaded the lasted Ubuntu as well. This option might make it easier to have HFM read work folders, etc, but I did not fold either on the linux setup...was just playing around.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Linux is linux whether it be Arch or Debian.
Well I was thinking something with less processes running out-of-the-box might provide better folding performance. I'd assume Ubuntu server installs a bunch of server-related apps? Maybe not though.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well I was thinking something with less processes running out-of-the-box might provide better folding performance. I'd assume Ubuntu server installs a bunch of server-related apps? Maybe not though.
Linux isn't like Windows where you load a bunch of servers up and it'll eat through a crapload of memory. Linux has FAR better memory management than Windows does.