Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding and SSD

I am actually running my folding client on my HDD along side my SSD. But I was wondering if folding could get any extra PPD from a SSD? Thx a lot for the answer !

Martin

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 2, 2011, 06:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I highly doubt you would see any sort of increase in folding performance. Overclocking your RAM or CPU on the other hand.... but I see you've already got that in check
Old February 2, 2011, 06:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You might save a bit of time on bigadv, since the end of a bigadv is a bit disk-intensive. I have not seen any concrete numbers to say how much faster it would be though, and I doubt it is a huge amount.

If you have tonnes of room on the SSD, then why not. If you don't have lots of space, I would say don't worry about it.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 2, 2011, 06:54 PM

My System Specs

I would keep it off your SSD unless you are running an SLC drive. A bigadv writes about 10GB to the drive. Most of the writes are around 4k in size. So not something that is easy on the drive.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Heh...just checked my PPD and noticed the client on my main rig was reporting no PPD. Checked rig, and it had a BSOD (kernel_Inpage_Error) and upon reboot, bios cannot find my SSD. Gotta rip it open tomorrow as I'm tired, but could be that I killed it or my frikkin loop leaked again....
Fold for team #54196
Old February 2, 2011, 08:04 PM
MVP
F@H

I use SSD's in all of my folding rigs but I get the feeling that it doesn't help much. The primary reason I used it in the first place was because it helps with optimizing settings (setup-boot-reboot) and I hate waiting. I just hope the drives don't die anytime soon.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old February 2, 2011, 09:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
I use SSD's in all of my folding rigs but I get the feeling that it doesn't help much. The primary reason I used it in the first place was because it helps with optimizing settings (setup-boot-reboot) and I hate waiting. I just hope the drives don't die anytime soon.
~3.6TB/year assuming you complete one bigadv per day. Assuming writes are around 4k you'll kill the SSD more than likely in less than 2 years. This is w/ the figures on an 80GB X25-M. If you are using a smaller SSD chances are it will start dying long before then.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:17 PM
MVP
F@H

It's fine I guess, I expected as much. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and actually mount the HDDs I recently got for them.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old February 2, 2011, 10:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
~3.6TB/year assuming you complete one bigadv per day. Assuming writes are around 4k you'll kill the SSD more than likely in less than 2 years. This is w/ the figures on an 80GB X25-M. If you are using a smaller SSD chances are it will start dying long before then.
BINGO! This is how my Vertex 60GB went down to 25% life left in under 9 months. My main rig isn't folding anymore, as I can't afford to put new SSD's in once a year at current market prices. One of these days I'll figure out how to point the hidden directories to another drive and start again.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
BINGO! This is how my Vertex 60GB went down to 25% life left in under 9 months. My main rig isn't folding anymore, as I can't afford to put new SSD's in once a year at current market prices. One of these days I'll figure out how to point the hidden directories to another drive and start again.
What directories are you referring to?