Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have always used Ubuntu Server. It's GUI-less, which is good because TPF's are meaningfully improved as a result, but bad because you have to know your way around Linux using nothing but a terminal screen. So, I don't know which distro would strike the optimal balance between ease-of-use and performance for you. Ubuntu Desktop is very easy to use, and ain't such a step back from the Server edition in terms of performance.

I am anything but a Linux master, though, and have always found terminal instructions for the things I'm trying to do quite easily through Google.

But yeah, current regular SMP projects on Ubuntu Server are about 20-30% faster (depending on the project) than they are on 2k3 on my quad-Opteron boxes. And that was with a very tightly nlited 2k3 install.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old February 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
But yeah, current regular SMP projects on Ubuntu Server are about 20-30% faster (depending on the project) than they are on 2k3 on my quad-Opteron boxes. And that was with a very tightly nlited 2k3 install.
WOW! Screenshots please?

I've been using Linux for everything but folding/gaming all this time and didn't know the GUI could make that huge of a difference, though I doubt it's only because of the GUI. I would guess more effective HDD/RAM usage would play a part.

Try running CrystalMark in Windows and then run it again on the same machine but in Ubuntu through Wine and watch your HDD score skyrocket.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:28 PM

My System Specs

So w/ this GUI-less Ubuntu server... If I wanted an OS that would be solely used for folding@home, would a Linux n00b have problems getting it to work?

EDIT: Downloading Ubuntu server at the moment. How is it that a GUI-less OS is still 650MB in size? Only 40MB less than the regular version of Ubuntu.

Last edited by lowfat; February 3, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
So w/ this GUI-less Ubuntu server... If I wanted an OS that would be solely used for folding@home, would a Linux n00b have problems getting it to work?

EDIT: Downloading Ubuntu server at the moment. How is it that a GUI-less OS is still 650MB in size? Only 40MB less than the regular version of Ubuntu.
It's nothing incredibly difficult, but if you've never used command line in Windows you'll have to learn a good bit. I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer, better to ease into the foreign OS with a GUI before taking away all the visuals.

Like I said in your other thread, it would probably be easier for you to install the Ubuntu variant that works out of the box (if you can find one that is) and then change the desktop environment to something more lightweight like Lubuntu or Xubuntu. But since you're downloading it anyways, go ahead and try, it's not rocket science.

As for the size, all variants of Ubuntu are essentially the same. They just use a different desktop environment/GUI. Also, Linux GUI's are typically a LOT lighter than Windows. Some specialty distros can run an OS+GUI with 10mb of RAM. Jump into your performance monitor and do the math to compare.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
WOW! Screenshots please?
I have none to offer sadly! But yeah - I'm sure you well know the 2P limitations of XP/Vista/7 - so 2k8 or 2k3 were my only options on the Windows side. 2k8 seemed more stable, but I had important driver blindspots with my hardware, so had to use 2k3. Since switching to Linux, stability has improved just as much as performance. And on the 60**-series projects, that improvement has been roughly 30%, whereas on the 67**-series projects, it's been closer to 20% faster. The difference is enough that regular SMP on Linux is only about 15% lower in terms of PPD than Bigadv on 2k3, whereas it's a difference of closer to 50% within the Windows client.

So while there certainly is no proof outside of what the Beta testers know re: the rebirth of Linux Bigadv, what evidence we do have supports the theory that it will be massively superior to Windows Bigadv, particularly with regard to core-scaling. So maybe not such a huge improvement on an 8-thread i7 box, but wowzers on a 24-thread SR-2 rig.

Quote:
solely used for folding@home
No problem at all. Just a few instructions needed, then it's set-and-forget. I (and I'm sure many others) can help you out when the time comes.

edit - Don't know if E-LEET would work under WINE though. I kinda doubt it. Definitely not without a GUI. So if you're using any software clocking tools, they probably won't be available to you with Linux.

Last edited by Dead Things; February 3, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:02 PM

My System Specs

Well I'll believe I'll give this Ubuntu server a try here as soon as I find stable clocks I am happy with. I guess w/ a CLI-based OS I don't need VNC, just console in to it if I ever need to make any changes. Install network drivers. Install folding@home. Sounds pretty easy to me.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Install network drivers.
Ubuntu is an intelligent OS. It knows enough to do this without being asked. No cob of corn necessary.

Also, VNC compatibility is built into Ubuntu. Enabling it is a matter of clicking a checkbox. I SSH into the Server boxes though.

Old February 3, 2011, 06:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Ubuntu is an intelligent OS. It knows enough to do this without being asked. No cob of corn necessary.

Also, VNC compatibility is built into Ubuntu. Enabling it is a matter of clicking a checkbox. I SSH into the Server boxes though.
You are making this sound extremely easy.

Tags
a3 core , f@h , folding , folding@home , gpu3 , v7 client