Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What flags are you using for all the clients?

And are the clients failing their WU's or anything?
No failed work units so far, and nothing is overclocked at the moment either as I just want it to work at stock before tinkering with any clock speeds.

As for flags the SMP had the following: -verbosity 9

And the non-Fermi GPU Clients were just pointed to their respective cards without any force GPU flags.

As for the current situation here: The 9800GT and the GTX 260 are taking just as long per frame at the moment 00:09:05 (H:M:S) as seen in the screen grab below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm also a bit concerned with the mix you've got WRT cards on that.... I remember there being a major issue of getting series 2XX cards to play nice with 9/8XXX series cards in multi GPU setups.

What are your cards reading WRT GPU usage while folding? (program like EVGA Precision and/or MSI Afterburner / and/or GPU-Z can tell you)
I had the 9800GT running with the pair of GTX 260's a few months ago, I did notice that one of the GTX 260's got much lower PPD when OC'd in that config though. Since then I have since reinstalled the OS (drive died) and now nothing works right.

As for the load on the cards, not much stress at all happening here see below:

Old January 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Add the:
"-forcegpu nvidia_fermi" flags to the 4xx cards.

You may have to delete the "work" folders, the coreXX.exe folders, and the queue.dat files for the fermi cards too before restarting.

Are you just using GPU3?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 8, 2011, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can also try opening realtemp to see if it forces your cards up to 100%. I've got a win7 rig that won't run the cards at 100% without realtemp open.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

From your HFM shot it looks like you are using the GPU2 (core type shows as GROGPU2) client for the 450's, you need the GPU3 (should show OPENMMGPU) client to make them fold.

This should be the right link for the GPU3 console client; Folding@home - My Folding Page

The low PPD on the older cards make it look like they are running at 2d clocks and might need to be forced to 3d.

While I haven't tried it a lot of Folders are recommending FAH GPU Tracker V2 which will d/l and config everything automatically for you. See this thread; FAH GPU Tracker V2

Good Luck...

Old January 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
The first time I mixed fermi & g8o cards together (1xGTX275-1xGTX470-2xGTX260) they played nice together, the next time I tried it (2xGTX460-1x8800GT) I could not get the 8800GT to fold at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Do not run your GPUs together like that. As others said, there's problems having them play nice together.

You should have no problem running the GTX 260 with the GTS 450 though... They're all from the same era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
Same deal here... I couldn't get my older cards to play nice with fermi cards. It would work for a while and then the older cards (9800GTX+/8800GT) would stop folding for some reason.
Thanks guys, I have removed the 9800GT from the machine for now. I'll revisit getting it working later after I get the big producers up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Add the:
"-forcegpu nvidia_fermi" flags to the 4xx cards.

You may have to delete the "work" folders, the coreXX.exe folders, and the queue.dat files for the fermi cards too before restarting.

Are you just using GPU3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
From your HFM shot it looks like you are using the GPU2 (core type shows as GROGPU2) client for the 450's, you need the GPU3 (should show OPENMMGPU) client to make them fold.

This should be the right link for the GPU3 console client; Folding@home - My Folding Page

The low PPD on the older cards make it look like they are running at 2d clocks and might need to be forced to 3d.

While I haven't tried it a lot of Folders are recommending FAH GPU Tracker V2 which will d/l and config everything automatically for you. See this thread; FAH GPU Tracker V2

Good Luck...
Thanks guys. I have deleted ALL the old clients, logs and config files and am starting fresh with GPU3 only with the following tags.
  • GPU 0, GTS 450: -local -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_fermi
  • GPU 1, GTS 450: -local -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_fermi
  • GPU 2, GTX 260: -local -gpu 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You can also try opening realtemp to see if it forces your cards up to 100%. I've got a win7 rig that won't run the cards at 100% without realtemp open.
I'm on XP but I have grabbed a copy to see what it can do for me. Thanks.

Ok now to fire up a few clients and see what happens, thanks for the help everyone
Old January 8, 2011, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, I have news to report. Both GTS 450's are folding, but the GTX 260 refuses to start with a "CoreStatus= 63 <99>" Error. SMP is working too, with no effect on the two Fermi cards running GPU3.
Old January 8, 2011, 03:40 PM

My System Specs

Try setting the GTX260 client to -GPU 0 as well. Just make sure that one of your GTS450 cards isn't trying to do both WU's at the same time.
Old January 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photograph View Post
Ok, I have news to report. Both GTS 450's are folding, but the GTX 260 refuses to start with a "CoreStatus= 63 <99>" Error. SMP is working too, with no effect on the two Fermi cards running GPU3.
From the guide PantherX posted on the Folding forums; Folding Forum &bull; View topic - Guide For GPU3 BETA Client {Windows & Linux}
  • <U>
    Quote:
    • Using A Fermi GPU & A Non-Fermi GPU In One System
    When combining a Fermi GPU with a Non-Fermi GPU, the Fermi GPU will fold FahCore_15 WUs while the Non-Fermi GPU will fold FahCore_11 WUs. However, if the Non-Fermi GPU attempts to fold a FahCore_15 WU, it will result in an error if the Clients aren't properly configured. In certain situations, this setup may not work. Nonetheless, you have the following options:
    </U>
    Quote:

Option 1: Make sure that there are separate folders for each GPU. After that, use these flags with the correct GPU:
    Fermi GPU: -forcegpu nvidia_fermi
    Non-Fermi GPU: -forcegpu nvidia_g80
    You may use one or both flags to see if your GPUs can fold FahCore_15 WUs without any issue.

Option 2: Run one instance of GPU2 Client for the Non-Fermi one and one instance of the GPU3 BETA Client for the Fermi one. IMO, you may want to use the Console Version of both Clients as all the files are included in it and it is a no-nonsense version which makes it easier to set-up and reduces the possibility of errors.

Last edited by LCB001; January 8, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old January 8, 2011, 04:05 PM
Banned
F@H

you got to jiggle with extend desktop, start the client, switch desktop view to main gpu.

console and tray clients for the win, with console on top.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:04 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you got to jiggle with extend desktop, start the client, switch desktop view to main gpu.

console and tray clients for the win, with console on top.
You shouldn't have to use extended view or anything for GTX2** GPU's or newer.