Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Minimum Specs for Folding? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/39616-minimum-specs-folding.html)

Slaughter January 5, 2011 01:08 PM

Minimum Specs for Folding?

Hey!

I used to be an avid folder but this was back in the day when a folding machine was a spare computer built of left over parts. Nowadays the majority of folding machines are better than my main gaming computer. :(

I would like to fold but I'm just wondering if a single core P4 with onboard video would even be able to fold? And if not, then what would a minimum spec be of a folding machine? :)

Thanks!

_dangtx_ January 5, 2011 01:13 PM

hey dude. for a machine like that i would do timeless wu's. trouble is that the performance per watt will be horrible, unless you dont care about such thing.

build yourself a nice gaming machine that will fold when not in particular use and be done with it :) do a mix of gpu and cpu folding to be on the safe side.

dedicated folding is expensive.

Slaughter January 5, 2011 01:36 PM

Hmm.. Guess I'll have to hold off until after my water cooling build is done :(

My main computer is gaming 24/7.

_dangtx_ January 5, 2011 01:38 PM

cool. do you take turns for the 24/7 gaming? :)

Slaughter January 5, 2011 01:40 PM

LoL.

Sadly I still 'play' Diablo II and run a bot. I'm about 97% to level 99. LoL.

Slaughter April 5, 2011 11:10 AM

To bring this back up as I am interested in helping out with the Chimp Challenge, will my current rig be able to help out or should I look at picking up a new video card at the very least?

Here are my hardware options:

Intel E3110 ES
AMD Phenom II 965BE

5770 (Current Card)
+Buy ~$50 nVidia card
+Buy 5770 & Crossfire
+Buy 6950 (Currently looking for one as an upgrade)
+Buy 560TI (Currently looking for one as an upgrade)

Which would be the better route to go?

chrisk April 5, 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter (Post 503221)
To bring this back up as I am interested in helping out with the Chimp Challenge, will my current rig be able to help out or should I look at picking up a new video card at the very least?

Here are my hardware options:

Intel E3110 ES
AMD Phenom II 965BE

5770 (Current Card)
+Buy ~$50 nVidia card
+Buy 5770 & Crossfire
+Buy 6950 (Currently looking for one as an upgrade)
+Buy 560TI (Currently looking for one as an upgrade)

Which would be the better route to go?

Since you are not a crazy folder like ourselves, just get the video card that you want to get for your gaming.

The 560Ti should get you better PPD than the 6950 (I don't have PPD numbers in front of me), but I would rather that folks like yourself get the hardware you want for your daily use, and then have us help you get the most out of what you have.

You can run smp on the AMD chip you have, but sswilson might be the best person to chime in on expected PPD. I am not familiar with that Intel chip, so just a uniprocessor setup might be best for that one. If the Inntel chip is to be paired with a GPU, then fold on the GPU only.

Slaughter April 5, 2011 11:59 AM

I don't really need either of those cards for gaming. I just have an itch to upgrade. LoL. The 5770 suffices for my day to day use really. I have an addiction to upgrading.

The Intel chip is the Xeon equivalent of the E8400.

I should fold more and game less, which may be what happens shortly as my interest in gaming is going downhill as it usually does in the summer months especially.

So having said that, what is my best bet for PPD should I make this a semi-dedicated folding box?

chrisk April 5, 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter (Post 503235)
I don't really need either of those cards for gaming. I just have an itch to upgrade. LoL. The 5770 suffices for my day to day use really. I have an addiction to upgrading.

The Intel chip is the Xeon equivalent of the E8400.

I should fold more and game less, which may be what happens shortly as my interest in gaming is going downhill as it usually does in the summer months especially.

If you are thinking of doing more folding, the 560Ti would be a good choice then. Folding will tax the card 100%, so get one with a good cooler.

Slaughter April 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 503238)
If you are thinking of doing more folding, the 560Ti would be a good choice then. Folding will tax the card 100%, so get one with a good cooler.

She'll be under water so no worries there.