Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2011, 06:32 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
All the old bigadv WU's just got repackaged and are available using the a5 core as well.
Ya but are they available in big supply in Linux yet? They were almost non existent for the past few weeks.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I think the idea is that now that we're all running core a5 the WU supply for Windows and Linux are not separate anymore. The big news anyways is that the wrapper keeps each thread locked to it's CPU to prevent inefficient scheduling. It gives you near perfect scaling going from 1 to 2 CPUs .

Last edited by Zink; March 20, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:58 PM

My System Specs

Reading a thread about Linux is like trying to read Chinese. Just goes in one ear and out the other.

Someone really should make a n00b friendly guide to setting up a Linux folding machine.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, linux bigadv work units are no longer scarce. All the windows workunits have been ported over.

Installing Linux is relatively easy. It's very similar to installing Windows for that matter.. and running the Linux client for Folding@Home is the same as the console client in windows. Instead of double clicking an icon to launch the program, you open a terminal shell (same as start > run > cmd) and run ./fah6 to execute.. all the same parameters work in Linux as Windows.
The only thing during the install process that might confuse a new user is when it comes to partitioning, in which most distributions have an "auto" feature which mounts everything properly for you anyways.
If I had time, i'd do a screenshot setup of Debian 6.. but well.. no time.

Installing the "custom kernel" is a little more tricky, but I would wager someone has done a HOWTO for that already.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Installing the "custom kernel" is a little more tricky, but I would wager someone has done a HOWTO for that already.
[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Linux versus Windows - bigadv folding results

Edit: And then do this as well to shave off a few more seconds.

AMDZone.com • View topic - The Kraken: affinity wrapper for a3 and a5 FahCores
Old March 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Can this be done on a HDD that already has W7 installed?
Old March 21, 2011, 09:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Charlie, if there is free room on the drive, yeah - but Linux will overwrite your MBR, so I typically tell people to install linux on a separate hard drive the first time they install it. So if they mess up the install (it happens sometimes) or doesn't detect Win7 x64 properly (also happens) they can plug their old hdd in and continue folding without having to reinstall windows.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

rgr will try this tonight.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can use the WUBI installer to install Ubuntu inside an existing windows partition. I'll have a go at it tonight with 10.10, I haven't done it since 9.04. It slows down the read/write performance to the HDD significantly, but shouldn't hurt TPF.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

True, I forgot about that. But since I have a spare Kingston SSD, I'll set it up on that drive instead.