Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Yeah I was hit for 150 $ because he declared 950 $ worth of CPU. Ask for lower value, you wont get the duty..
The only problem is if the products get damaged in shipping.. you don't get the money back. This was a huge problem for a guy I knew - he ordered $30k worth of product from China/Russia (don't remember exactly where) and the company sending it declared value of $1. The crate was ruined.. basically salt water got in the compartment of computer parts.. laptops, lcd monitors, etc.
He went out of business because of that - he had pre-orders paid in full for most of the laptops. His business insurance didn't cover it because it was international trade.. he got screwed from everywhere.

Anyways, it beats the price of getting 5650's - at $1100/pop + tax in Canada. Getting 3.6Ghz instead of 4.0-4.2 at half the cost is tempting.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old November 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
According to the shipper, the use of a credit card adds 17%=$76.50, ( I am out of town so my only option right now) shipping Fed-Ex=$44.00 and according to another forum member taxes approx. $30.00. YMMV. Road trip to California anyone? I'll split the gas and beer money!
That 17% is BS, don't go for it. You can use paypal with them and you won't have to pay anything else (they get charged ~$31.00 USD). Since they give each for $450.00 at most, the money you "saved" is the money you'll use to pay for shipping and taxes. How many do you need?

For shipping, they packed it with an external box+corn+bubble -> intenal box+foam+dissipative packet+even more foam.

As for the PPD. I get 60-85K PPD for on a single board (CPU @4.0Ghz) with 3 GPU3 clients running P6800. So that's 30-55K PPD for the CPU bigadv and 10K each for the GPU clients. It also consumes 600-650W per box. So for 2 boxes you get 120-170K/1.3KW which isn't bad, but it isn't that good either. I can't answer for the SR-2 as newegg hasn't shipped them yet matsta31 you're our only hope man!

I am moving to the SR-2 for only one reason, efficiency. With the (lower) initial cash layout with these L5639s, an SR-2 setup costs no more than a decent gpu farm but with a much lower power consumption. Seems like a good plan to me, at least at this point of the ever changing PPD landscape.

PS: If you have a decent single board, you'll be able to clock them @4.1Ghz. I just prefer not to because I don't like 1.41VTT. I don't know the PPD impact of 100Mhz either.

@jibz

Yeah it's the same board, a very good one :)

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches

Last edited by Xeven; November 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old November 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to determine if the extra bonus calculated by the SR-2 based on having the WU done earlier, outweighs the higher overclock you can get with two single boards.

I think I might just get the two CPUs, than run them in the boards now.. sell off the 920 D0's and put that towards an SR-2 (plus case) if the PPD / efficiency is worth it.

I'd like to hear about the dual L5639s in the SR-2 (i'm looking at you Matsta)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old November 26, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

look :
Attached Images

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
That 17% is BS, don't go for it. You can use paypal with them and you won't have to pay anything else (they get charged ~$31.00 USD).
Hmm, I was communicating with Gal

*quote.. If so, we can take it. Just a heads up, with a credit card, you will have to pay a customs fee, which I believe is 17% or something. end quote*

I suggested PayPal but he did not want to accept it. Ironic seems they sell on Ebay.
Old November 26, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol I paid paypal with him.... and because of the credit card, they have a paper trail, so they dont want to diminush the value snce they are a corporation and they would be liable if they get verified. The duty is = to taxes, in Qc TVQ+TPS = 15 % roughly. His 17 % must come from theses figures. You could go with a smaller EBAY seller, he will surely put 40 $ on the invoice or something.

Sold hardware again.....
Old November 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I need is to get back to the price of $450 and pay with PayPal, they have the chip listed @ $495.

For some reason he did not offer that option when I was emailing back and forth.
Old November 26, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

he said he did a ''special'' for me accepting paypal and out of ebay.... for 495 $ you will get paypal, and a probability to pay duty. I suppoe depending on their inventory of chips he has more or less wiggle room on the price.

Sold hardware again.....
Old November 26, 2010, 01:11 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
look :

@ what clocks?
Old November 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I am now stable 190 Blck. Just working really slowly... will do more later tonight. The kids will be coming home soon, he we are going to see the Xmas CP train !!!!!

Edit : I also need to grab some wine to ceelbrate the 200 BLCK !

edit 2 : I guess I should post my initial finding, would be great will the user base we have here with SR-2. But temp is really a non issue. Water is overkill for now. Since I dont expect to go over 200-210 BLCK.

Edit 3 = I am sure this will lost in all the posting but, you NEED WINDOWS 7 PRO OR ULTIMATE to have 2 cpus. Factor this in the cost. too

Sold hardware again.....

Last edited by matsta31; November 26, 2010 at 01:24 PM.