Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2010, 01:56 PM

My System Specs

Default In search of PPD, what option you choose?

So I want to add some PPD here and not sure what I want to do.

Option 1: Sell current main system (i7 @ 4.4GHz + Rampage 3 Extreme) and buy an EVGA SR2 + 2 E5620. This should pull around 50k to 85k depending on the WU's I can pull. Since the SR2 has a bclk limit of ~200, the CPU's will top out @ After selling what I have I think this would likely cost me around $1500 after selling what I can. But it would give me major e-peen.

Option 2: Sell current i7 920 and grab an i7 970/980x. Should be good for about 35k - 65k depending on WU's from my math. This will cost me around $750-$850.

Option 3: Build another X58 system and use it along side my two other folding machines. This should only gain 35 - 50k ppd depending on WUs. For the CPU, mainboard, videocard, and SSD it will likely cost me around $900. All of the other gear I already have laying around. Downside is that it will take more power, and likely put me on the verge of blowing the breaker.

Decisions...decisions....decisions....
Old November 11, 2010, 02:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a big fan of multiple GPUs + SMP2 (BigAdv seems to take too much of a hit with GPUs) on more than one rig. The higher the number of GPUs contributing, the better your chances that overall PPD isn't going to be overly adversely affected by a batch of poorly performing WUs, and/or downtime. The SMPs are mostly just because it'd be a shame to waste the CPU cycles. ;)

More relatively smaller units = better redundancy in case something goes wrong.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old November 11, 2010, 02:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The most fun option is #1. As 3.0Charlie has shown, those SR2 rigs can be a challenge. the reward is high, as is the credit card bill.

I would stick to the option with the most-varied folding options. That way, if crazy WUs show up, you won't get hit too badly. Folks with 450s are getting hammered right now, as were Linux bigadv (and lately Windows Bigadv too) folders like myself.

So from a strictly folding standpoint (no $$ considerations), I would go with another rig for some redundancy. This will reduce downtime due to crazy WUs, or faulty hardware. This, only of the breaker can handle it, or if you can place the rig on a different breaker.

Would be fun to see what the SR-2 with a bunch of 460s would produce in one rig though.....
Fold for team #54196
Old November 11, 2010, 02:13 PM
MVP
F@H

I went with #3 from the get go since I felt like it afforded me the "best" flexibility or upgrade path. I haven't folded long enough (I am a folding newbie) to realize if my decision was based on correct parameters or downright hogwash. Heck, #1 and #2 are still at 80% and #3 is just a chassis at the moment.

I've been monitoring the actual power usage of #1 and #2 and it seems like it's equivalent to a basic cable with a few doodads. It piles up though, so that might be a big factor depending on the situation.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old November 11, 2010, 02:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
I went with #3 from the get go since I felt like it afforded me the "best" flexibility or upgrade path. I haven't folded long enough (I am a folding newbie) to realize if my decision was based on correct parameters or downright hogwash. Heck, #1 and #2 are still at 80% and #3 is just a chassis at the moment.
Well, as someone who has folded for a few years (some on here longer than I) I would say having a mix of CPU and GPU folding was a wise choice.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 11, 2010, 02:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

hehe... that board is a monster, in every way you can think about it. But the issue is not the board, but the chips in order to have a superior ppd/$ value over the multi-GPU setup.

Indeed with the proper chips and oc, the SR2 can pull above 160k ppd on a 2685 and 75k on a 6701. But for those numbers you need oc'ed X5650s (above 4.2GHz), each worth over 1K$. I chose the SR2 because I want to stick to 1 rig, and manage the lower heat load. I got lucky and snatched today a pair of E5645s for 1100$ shipped.

So.

Board is ~650.
Chips are 1100.
Ram is ~ 200.
I'll be using a HD5450 as a GPU.

I won't mention HDDs, GPUs, case and other components since you would need it anyway for a GPU-based rig. Adding those numbers you get ~2k$ worth of hardware, just for the ppd. Drop in a nice 4x 16x lanes board with a i7 and you are in business with a lot of budget left for 4 ppd/capable GPUs.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; November 11, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:23 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm a big fan of multiple GPUs + SMP2 (BigAdv seems to take too much of a hit with GPUs) on more than one rig. The higher the number of GPUs contributing, the better your chances that overall PPD isn't going to be overly adversely affected by a batch of poorly performing WUs, and/or downtime. The SMPs are mostly just because it'd be a shame to waste the CPU cycles. ;)

More relatively smaller units = better redundancy in case something goes wrong.
I could add 3 more GTX460's to my current system, which would bring me to 4. But then I'd kill my PPD output to 5-7k more than likely. It will cost me ~$600 and only will only add 35k or so PPD considering the loss of the SMP ppd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
The most fun option is #1. As 3.0Charlie has shown, those SR2 rigs can be a challenge. the reward is high, as is the credit card bill.

Would be fun to see what the SR-2 with a bunch of 460s would produce in one rig though.....
If I were to go w/ the SR-2 I don't think I'd ever use more than one GPU. With Fermi they just kill SMP production too much.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
If I were to go w/ the SR-2 I don't think I'd ever use more than one GPU. With Fermi they just kill SMP production too much.
My GTX 470 lost about 3K with the new 68XX projects, but use much less CPU cycles than before. In that rig, my Bigadv gained at least 10K, so it looks like (for now) that the work that was being offloaded to the cpu on the old fermi WUs is not happening with these bigger proteins.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 11, 2010, 02:28 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Indeed with the proper chips and oc, the SR2 can pull above 160k ppd on a 2685 and 75k on a 6701. But for those numbers you need oc'ed X5650s (above 4.2GHz), each worth over 1K$. I chose the SR2 because I want to stick to 1 rig, and manage the lower heat load. I got lucky and snatched today a pair of E5645s for 1100$ shipped.
Wait, you picked up a pair of E5645s for $1100... for like both?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
My GTX 470 lost about 3K with the new 68XX projects, but use much less CPU cycles than before. In that rig, my Bigadv gained at least 10K, so it looks like (for now) that the work that was being offloaded to the cpu on the old fermi WUs is not happening with these bigger proteins.
When I was using 3 GTX460s and the 611 point WU's I couldn't pull more than 8k out of P6701 WU's and couldn't even finish a bigadv.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, sure did: 2 of those beauties. Expecting a tracking number anytime soon. And I should receive my ram sticks monday, and the replacement board the monday after...

Chris, I would not fold GPU-wise on a SR2 while CPU-folding. You need every CPU cycle to hit the largest bonus you can get. It's exponential, remember? And just to clarify, 165k is ppd, not ppd + bonus... That [H] member got 3 SR2s going, and this is his Test WU. Check out the ppd.

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - SR-2 Optimization Thread

Nice bonus explanation:

Quote:
If the WU takes between 4 and 6 days to complete, there's no bonus so the points are really low. As soon as the bonus kicks in, the points are much higher thanks to the 26.4 K factor. Unlike the P6012 WU with a minimum bonus factor of 2, the bigadv bonus starts at 6.29. If you have hardware that can make the deadline, you can see how running bigadv can be worth it.

Using the example machines from before, say the quad-core i7 takes 60 hours to complete a bigadv WU. That gives a bonus factor of 7.96, total points of 71,599, and PPD of 28,640.

The 12-core SR-2 can complete the same WU in 20 hours, for a bonus factor of 13.79, total points of 124,014, and PPD of 148,816. Once again, the PPD is more than five times greater.
F@H bonus explanation - [H]ard|Forum