Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2010, 02:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

Chris, I would not fold GPU-wise on a SR2 while CPU-folding. You need every CPU cycle to hit the largest bonus you can get. It's exponential, remember? And just to clarify, 165k is ppd, not ppd + bonus... That [H] member got 3 SR2s going, and this is his Test WU. Check out the ppd.
F@H bonus explanation - [H]ard|Forum
Impressive, I see your point, but that is one heck of a lot of folding PPD eggs in one basket...

Still, I would be tempted, as that setup looks like a lot of fun.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 11, 2010, 02:54 PM

My System Specs

Wow if I could grab two E5645's for $1100 total I would go the SR2 route without a doubt. But they normally sell for $1000+ each like every 6-core Xeon CPU. There is no way I am going to spent $2500+ either. That is definitely out of my budget.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Impressive, I see your point, but that is one heck of a lot of folding PPD eggs in one basket...

Still, I would be tempted, as that setup looks like a lot of fun.
Indeed, on the last page of that thread he mentions he lost his first WU... 130k lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Wow if I could grab two E5645's for $1100 total I would go the SR2 route without a doubt. But they normally sell for $1000+ each like every 6-core Xeon CPU. There is no way I am going to spent $2500+ either. That is definitely out of my budget.
There may be more of those chips available at that price. I can check out if you wish.
Old November 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
Banned
F@H

well, sell the lot and grab the sr2. more power in one box, less boxes = less power draw. add a second cpu later on and populate the slots.
Old November 11, 2010, 03:35 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

There may be more of those chips available at that price. I can check out if you wish.
If you could, that would be swell.
Old November 11, 2010, 04:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ppd/w and ppd/$ unless your budget is unlimited choose the $ and investigate the best ppd/w you can build for the given $.

If all gpu cores worked on my 9350e rig it would draw about 950w from the UPS, it only puts out 40kppd (its a 2yr old build, use to be kick ass)
I've seen reports of SR-2 builds only pulling 550w and putting out over 100kppd

When built my 9350e rig was about $1400, conservative sr-2 builds might be $2500 but its more then double the ppd for less then double the $.
If you're thinking gpu rig, get the cheapest mobo/cpu/ram that supports the gpu's you want to run (be it 2 or 3/4 in one mobo) and then cherry pick your gpu's.

Lastly.... dont be afraid to buy used, yes you get burned on some things but when retail on a six core xeon can be $1500, patience and some OC'ing of the ES chips could get you 2 for less then $1k.

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going with Chris on this one.

Putting all your eggs into a SMP basket seems risky. A few people (including here on HWC) dumped into the 450 basket by buying multi-gpu setups for folding. They have now lost quite a bit of PPD due to (in my opinion) placing all their eggs in one basket.

What happens if Stanford changes the K value, or (as the new Intel chips come out and make 8 core/16 thread more common) discontinues the SMP bonus on -bigadv's all together? You now have a sweet SR2 rig that just got hammered on PPD. I guess you still have a lot of PCIE lanes you can fill with GPU's...but yeah.

Looking over your options, I would say the 970/980x actually looks like the safest immediate cost/PPD benefit, with redundancy built in. Either that or wait until the spring for the new i7 'e' lineup to come out.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You are right sagath, I guess with folding the best bet is to be flexible. Personally I always mixed fairly well performing CPU's with cheap but plentiful GPU's so that way regardless of what stanford did if I took a hardware hit I was still sitting pretty.

When I get back into this it will be much the same way.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 11, 2010, 04:22 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post

Lastly.... dont be afraid to buy used, yes you get burned on some things but when retail on a six core xeon can be $1500, patience and some OC'ing of the ES chips could get you 2 for less then $1k.
I definitely do not have a problem with buying used gear. But I haven't seen any 6 core ES chips for sale at a good price either.

Going the SR-2 is looking more likely now though. Even if I can't find a good pair of hexacores I might just grab a pair of these. Since overclocking w/ the SR2 is bclk limited I think these shouldn't have much of a problem hitting 3.6 - 3.8GHz.
Intel Quad-Core Xeon ES E5530 QGXW B0 2.40GHZ LGA1366 on eBay.ca (item 280583111334 end time 30-Nov-10 17:52:01 EST)
Old November 11, 2010, 04:50 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm..how much ppd could one get with an oldie 4 slot board and fill it with 450/460's? heck single slotters are around the corner. might be wroth throwing just 150 on board+cpu, but that means youll need a few puters like that to offset the sr2 build ppd

long term ppd/kwh might not be as good. even though ppd/$spent might look good.