Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
With my overclocked GTX460 I am pulling 12.6k w/ a P6800 1298 credit WU. Which is about 400 higher than the 611. But the CPU usage is still as high as the 911/925 WU's. Sounds like a lose-lose WU to me.
Are you sure? That's what I thought at first, but then i realized my multiplier was 7.5x instead of 9x with the 911/925's.

So far the cons I've had with these beta WUs have been: poor stability when OCed, higher temps, insane coil whine, and longer TPFs.

As for the Pros: I "think" the CPU usage has dropped and PPD at stock speeds is noticeably better.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:33 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Are you sure? That's what I thought at first, but then i realized my multiplier was 7.5x instead of 9x with the 911/925's.

So far the cons I've had with these beta WUs have been: poor stability when OCed, higher temps, insane coil whine, and longer TPFs.

As for the Pros: I "think" the CPU usage has dropped and PPD at stock speeds is noticeably better.
Will do a bit more testing. But CPU usage is still sticking around 3-4 percent w/ the P6800 WU on my machine. I removed the advmethods flag and I will check it against the 911/925 point WU's.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck guys, let us all know how it works out.

Xeven, I hear ya mate no worries I don't think it was ment in the wrong way. I understand there too, I got the GTS250's back in the day for an efficent PPD Machine. However I bet these are like the 511's that we got way way back in the day that knocked out OC's and made heat a real issue. Happens whenever they need to run a really complicated WU.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yup ST these are the new "511s" we used to see back in the glory days of the GXT 280, 260, etc.

The higher shader counts of the 260 216sp and GTX 280/285 really helped with those WUs, compared to the 9600GSO, GT250s, etc.

Seems to happen once every GPU generation; new cards come out, and Stanford takes a while to get some WUs out with some science that takes advantage of the new generation.

That being said, every once in a while Stanford releases a WU that is just a hog, and will release another that is not so power hungry.

I also believe that the core 15 does not have the 'idle' feature, which helps keep temps down (I saw jedi over at the folding forums asking about it, and he is the guy who made the GPUtracker). This may make this particular WU more nasty than most.

This happens from time to time in folding. I took a huge hit in PPD recently when Linux bigadv folding stopped. I was hitting close to 80K PPD until then, and now I am lucky to hit 60K.

So I feel the pain, but its all a part of folding. You just have to know too that this is hitting all Fermi folders, so the playing field is leveled out a bit.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just got everything up so I have not had time to play with flags. Does the -advmethods make that much of a difference?
Old November 10, 2010, 06:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Just got everything up so I have not had time to play with flags. Does the -advmethods make that much of a difference?
What cards do you have? The 450s are getting hammered (especially) by these advmethods WUs.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Picked up a 6800 WU on my GTX470. PPD is now 13,350, while it's been at around the 13,900 mark on most previous units. Not too big of a hit.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Picked up a 6800 WU on my GTX470. PPD is now 13,350, while it's been at around the 13,900 mark on most previous units. Not too big of a hit.
Making good use of those CUDA cores
Old November 10, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got my rig stable with the new WU's. It looks like the SLI 'fix' isnt fixed any more. Disabled it and its folding 6800's fine. TPF of 1:50 at 763mhz. PPD? Yeah. 10.5K.

Upping it back to 880 and tryin' er out. Either way...Ouch. Might be time to look into a 580.

Edit: Did happen to notice that each of my cards (while folding this 6800) is sucking less CPU time. Down to about 1% core usage per client. This could be about the only positive upside to the new WU's is better SMP folding.

Edit2: 3% done at 880mhz. So far so good, TPF is down to 1:35
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; November 10, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Edit: Did happen to notice that each of my cards (while folding this 6800) is sucking less CPU time. Down to about 1% core usage per client. This could be about the only positive upside to the new WU's is better SMP folding.
+1.
While my 460s are down a bit, my bigadv is hitting 30K PPD, where it has been high teens, maybe low 20s for ages.

My net PPD is actually up as a result.....
Fold for team #54196

Tags
fermi , folding , folding@home , gpu3 , ppd , projects , stanford