Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Looks like they're finally making good use of the additional CUDA cores higher end that NVIDA GPUs have. I can understand why many are being negative and disappointed with this move, but I approve of it. Makes Folding a lot more fair because before, all you needed was raw core and shader speeds on the lower/mainstream GPUs to compete with the higher end GPUs in terms of PPD. Now, if you want the points, sacrifices have to be made.

Plus, Folding@Home is about the research that we participate in, not about the points.
Well if you approve of it then.......

All kidding aside it was just a matter of time this was going to happen. No surprise here.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
Hmm... spending 5000 dollars on rigs with a bunch of 450s/460s isn't sacrifice enough I guess.
I don't think you can spend $5000 on a bunch of GTS 450 and GTX 460 on a dedicated folding rig... There's only so many PCI-E slots. And if you can, well shouldn't you have bought Fermi GPUs instead? I would've "future proofed" as I believed that the days where "Raw speed = excellent F@H performance" would come to an end sooner or later.

Seems that GTX 470 and GTX 460 are getting the same PPD though, meaning clock speed still plays a factor. Hopefully the newer cores and WU will change this. I'm gonna check the Folding Forums and EVGA's folding team later to see what people are saying.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Pretty sure you can't fold (dual cards anywise) while in SLI mode. Can't say for sure though, 'cause none of my motherboards support SLI.
I'm folding with SLI enabled

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old November 10, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
I'm folding with SLI enabled
Yea newer drivers fixed that. It was fixed a long time ago actually.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:40 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I don't think you can spend $5000 on a bunch of GTS 450 and GTX 460 on a dedicated folding rig... There's only so many PCI-E slots. And if you can, well shouldn't you have bought Fermi GPUs instead?
Last I checked, the 450 and 460's were Fermi based ;) And yes you can, I did say "rigs" . Some of us also try to go for efficiency as well, just because you can afford it doesn't mean you have to buy Ferraris.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches

Last edited by Xeven; November 10, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One of my previously stable cards went berserk with these WU's and kept crapping out with (UNSTABLE MACHINE)...I wasnt home to catch it, it dumped the max number of WU's before auto-sleeping...I have no clue why the card is suddenly unstable, other then to suspect these new WU's. I fold with SLI enabled, so maybe that is the cause...I dont see heat being an issue as my cards fold at <55c...but either way, I removed the -advmethods flag until I find out more issues.

As to the ppd issue, all PPD are supposed to be referenced against some kind of benchmark (ie the -bigadvs are referenced against 2 Xeon for folding time) to determine points. If the GPU3's arnt done the same way, this feels unfair.

Anyone with a 470/480 give us an idea of the PPD on these new WU's? My OC'd 460's were pulling in 12k PPD with them at 880mhz.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; November 10, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been trying the new WUs with my 470.

At stock speeds I actually got a ~200 PPD boost. However, I haven't been able to use my previous O/C as it is completely unstable for these WUs.
With a mild OC though, I'm getting ~200-300 more than I was getting with the 106xx's. However, with the limitation on my OC, production is at a net loss.
Temps are a little higher than the previous 106xx's, while stability at higher clock speeds is even worse. CPU usage seems to be less than the 109xx/11xxx's.

I did notice that a mild OC will ramp up the coil whine on my card like crazy. With the 106xx's coil whine was existent while OC'ed, but not as loud, with the 109xx's and 11xxx's coil whine was nonexistent.

I got a hunch that these WUs will eventually end up killing a few of the OC'ed GTX470's/480's. Or at least make their owners deaf.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:51 PM

My System Specs

How is CPU usage with these WU's? If it is like the 611 pointers I very may well have to add the advmethods back. Hopefully then I won't get as many 912/925 pointers.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So what kind of points are folks getting on their higher end Fermis when compared to the 611 units?

So far, turning off -adv has kept the new WUs away from my 450s, but we know that won't last forever. If you've turned off -advmethods and you're still getting the WUs... did you restart the client? If yes, then shut them down, run -configonly and I'll bet you'll find that you've added -advmethods in the "extra parameters" area. ;)

Not sure what to say about the OC results though... it'd bite if the new WUs would only run on stock cards, and if that's the case, I'd be willing to bet a few timmies coffees that they'll find a lot of stock cards with issues as well.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 10, 2010, 05:17 PM

My System Specs

With my overclocked GTX460 I am pulling 12.6k w/ a P6800 1298 credit WU. Which is about 400 higher than the 611. But the CPU usage is still as high as the 911/925 WU's. Sounds like a lose-lose WU to me.

Tags
fermi , folding , folding@home , gpu3 , ppd , projects , stanford