Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Will be missing deadline on the BIGADV project 2684 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/37799-will-missing-deadline-bigadv-project-2684-a.html)

matsta31 November 8, 2010 08:49 AM

Will be missing deadline on the BIGADV project 2684

Hi,

I have jsut restarded folding (I was gaming-rig less for a couple of month) on a I7 950 (current oc to 4.2) and 2 GTX470. I am using Bill2 to change the GPU folding priority to Average and the CPU folding to less than average. Back last spring, it worked fine, and I was getting the BIGADV bonuses but I was not runnig two GTX 470, I was on 2 GX2's.

Now, looking at the TPF, it seems I will miss the deadline. This kind of suprised me. I know the 2684 are diifficult WU, but still I was thinking I would make the deadline. Do I need to go back to regular A3 or do I need to tweak the core affinity for CPU folding ? Like dedicating 6 cores to CPU etc.... if so, I dont remeber how to do that. Can someon kindly help ?

I use the Window client, back then I was on Linux.

Thanks for the help. and keep on folding !

Edit as of now, suggestions are :

- use -smp 7 -bigadv in command line
- kill one or two GPU folding while it finishes
- don't use any affinity/priority program like Bills2
- in the config set the priority of CPU folding to lowest and GPU to Low
- For the GPU set Disable Cpu affinity lock, set it to yes

Xeven November 8, 2010 09:03 AM

Try setting "-smp 7 -bigadv" as the commandline option along with setting the affinity of the gpu3 clients to a single core. This should improve your TPF, but depending on how late you are you still might or might not make it. You also need to decide if killing one or both of the gpu3 clients (temporarily) will help and is worth it.

LCB001 November 8, 2010 09:17 AM

My i7-930 @4.06 with two (2x) GTX 460's has no problem making the 2684's deadline, yours @4.2 should do it easily.

I set the priorities within the Folding clients with the CPU using all eight cores and let windows (7) deal with the affinities.

Welcome back...

matsta31 November 8, 2010 09:19 AM

ok thanks. Nah I wont make it since It will be running slower all day long, while I am at the office. I wont kill the WU either since it will be reported anyway. Meh, I ddid not think about killing one GPU... that was so simple.

Do I need to tweak the priority of the GPU folding to ?

geokilla November 8, 2010 09:32 AM

Use the default (lowest) priority settings and don't use another program to change it. If that doesn't work, do what LCB001 said. Also try running -smp 7 just like what xeven said.

LCB001 November 8, 2010 09:37 AM

What sort of TPF/PPD are you getting and how long has it been running for ??. If it's only been a day or day and a half you still might be able to get a bonus if you stop both gpu's when you get home.

During config I set the cpu to the lowest priority and the gpus to low (instead of idle).

Oh and I forgot to mention for the gpus' I set "Disable CPU affinity lock (no/yes)" to 'yes' letting windows assign it to whichever core has the lowest load at the time...

matsta31 November 8, 2010 10:14 AM

At the begining I was getting a 48-50 minutes TPF. Last night before I went to bed the TPF moved to 1hre10 minutes. Mind you, during the day, I had lots of downloading from Steam and some gaming.

So you are not using any program to manage affinity/priorities ? I'll try that since eveytime I look the manager takes a couple of % points of CPU cycles.

what does SMP -7 does ? Does it set the affinity correctly for the GPU ?

lowfat November 8, 2010 10:24 AM

Gaming will kill production on bigadv units. Also take off the advmethods of the GTX470s if you have them. You may get less 912/925 point WU's without it. I am not sure how the GTX470 differs, but when getting those WUs on my GTX460 it kills my SMP clients production.

matsta31 November 8, 2010 10:51 AM

Thanks,

For the GPU settings, I only did the quick windows setup. I dont remember doing anything regarding Advmethods. I'll look into it tonight.

geokilla November 8, 2010 12:28 PM

48-50 minutes TPF seems a bit high... If I remember correctly, average TPF for a OCed i7 is around 40 minutes isn't it?