Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Post your folding casualities (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/37663-post-your-folding-casualities.html)

ilya November 3, 2010 03:47 PM

Post your folding casualities

Post your folding casualties here so we can talk you out of quitting folding.

I've been at it since the CC this year, just got my first folding casualities, albeit minor ones which will only slow me down for a little while. But hey, my production doubled the last month so I'm pretty happy with that.

Here they are:
8600GT - stock fan burned out halfway through the October folding contest, took the shroud off and a 40mm fan strapped to it with an Antec SpotCool giving it more air. Taking it off folding duties until I find a more elegant solution.

D975XBX2 - ethernet controller died due to excessive northbridge heat from a sky high OC and my GTX 470 blowing hot air at it, using an old 10mbit network card for now, planning on getting a nice gigabit server card later. Going back to nighttime folding for the Fermi and toning down the CPU folding since it's getting tanked by the Fermi anyhow.

chrisk November 3, 2010 04:13 PM

No hardware casualties here. I do tend to go overboard with cooling, and I don't get too aggressive on overclocks either, so that helps.

Xeven November 3, 2010 04:15 PM

Since I've only been folding for a little over a month, no casualties yet. The only real "casualty" I have at the moment is that my wallet seems to be suffering from starvation. :ph34r:

chrisk November 3, 2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeven (Post 445915)
Since I've only been folding for a little over a month, no casualties yet. The only real "casualty" I have at the moment is that my wallet seems to be suffering from starvation. :ph34r:

It's called "Folder's Wallet." The weight of the wallet falls in direct proportion to a rise in PPD.

The only cure is 40c weather. Symptoms return when the weather gets cold again.

4DoorGTZ November 3, 2010 04:32 PM

2x MSI K9A2-Platinum Mobo's
2x Asus Z7S-WS Mobo's
2x APC BX1500's
2x (1/2) of a 9800GX2, one is still in service the other is collecting dust.

boggtrotter59 November 3, 2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ (Post 445922)
2x MSI K9A2-Platinum Mobo's
2x Asus Z7S-WS Mobo's
2x APC BX1500's
2x (1/2) of a 9800GX2, one is still in service the other is collecting dust.

Wow :shok: that's a lot of dead hardware... You must be unlucky, I have yet to have a piece of hardware die on me while folding. One of my vidcards did crap out once but I managed to revive it by flashing the bios.
Mind you I haven't been doing it as long as you have...

sswilson November 3, 2010 04:57 PM

GTX280 X 1, but I managed to bring that back from the dead once already by baking it, and probably will attempt it again. ;)

Soultribunal November 3, 2010 05:48 PM

Gigabyte MA780 AM2+/AM3 Board
Gigabyte GT240
EVGA GX2

Mind you I haven't folded in a really long while due to various reasons.
So this tally could add up sooner rather than later.

_dangtx_ November 3, 2010 06:03 PM

i still have an athlon xp doing timeless wu's since 2003 or 2004. probably some random stuff died along the way, nothing folding related cuz i usually dont keep em long lol..unless memory fails me.

but gt, man, thats a lotta deadites ya collected there, almost many to resurrect an army bro!

Sagath November 3, 2010 06:20 PM

Yeah, ST, what the hell. I'd almost forgotten!

I remember I was late to pick up a couple GX2's by about 30 seconds in the BST forum because of you. And then you fell off the earth....WITH the folding gear! :angry2: You should have atleast pawned it off on another folder first! :doh:

I mean really. :ban:

(:haha:)