Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 03:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default To those who fold on Windows Server...

Hopefully some other people here fold on various versions of Windows Server.

What I'm wondering, is it possible to have F@H run under a different user, and still let me RDP into another account without killing F@H?

I know if it's running under my account, it gets axed as the video card basically becomes disconnected, but I'm wondering if it would stay alive under a different user account...

Granted using VNC solves it as well, but RDP seems to perform a bit better.

Also Console vs Systray client, I'm down with either. Whatever can make this work happily.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
Banned
F@H

first of all, console all the way if you can.

secondly, from what i remember, as long as the client starts automatically with the user that first logs in? then you can switch and be fine. but thats on cpu, dont remember on gpu. you may have to force it active, or such. gl bud
Old October 5, 2010, 04:07 PM

My System Specs

I am pretty sure you can get F@H to run as a service. Wouldn't this solve the problem?
Old October 5, 2010, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I am pretty sure you can get F@H to run as a service. Wouldn't this solve the problem?
Not sure... guess I could try though.

Problem I noticed is that when you log in via RDP, it changes to some RDP Chained graphics adapter of sorts, and the actual GPU disappears from Device Manager.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:10 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I can't tell you anything for certain, but based on the nature of the problem, I don't think running the client under a different user account will prevent the core from crashing when you log in via RDP.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It actually seems to work!

So I logged in locally as a normal user, installed F@H (had to do Run As Admin of course though), and then launched it. Started folding away even though I had my RDP session open to my Admin account on my desktop still :)

Shared the Folding@Home AppData folder, installed HFM.NET on my desktop, and voila! Still folding away

Only issue will be if my server shuts down or restarts. I'll have to manually launch F@H so I'll loose out on some points in the downtime.

Last edited by JD; October 5, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good :)
Old October 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well it only did one WU last night (the first one). The rest all error'd out with UNSTABLE_MACHINE....

Not sure why. Trying again though to see how it goes.
Old October 6, 2010, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Still does it :( After one WU all goes to hell...