Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 12:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Noob i7 980x Bigadv Folding Questions

Hi, I've been following a guide to set up bigadv folding and have a couple questions. Do I have to DL VMware player 3.0 or should I get the latest one (3.1.2 at this time)? I ask because sometimes patches or updates messes up what previously works and I just want to make sure this doesn't happen. Also, in the guide, it says to use -smp 7 and -smp 8 to use 7 and 8 cores, respectively. So say I wanted to use 11 cores, do I just use -smp 11? I will probably have more questions as I go through this guide, so bear with me lol

Thanks
Old October 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I thought you could do bigadv folding on the smp client and it yields about the same amount as the vmware (linux) version while using less system resources (memory)
Old October 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Use the 6.30 drop-in Windows client here:

http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/fold...-Win32-x86.exe

BigAdv for Linux is broken right now anyway, so even if you did get this config up and running it wouldn't download BigAdv at all.

Follow the SMP install guide here:

SMP install guide for Folding @ Home

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old October 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just curious, but how come the 6.30 client is on the professor's FTP and not on the main download page? Thanks for the link to the guide. So if I follow that guide, I should only have one instance of the client running and that client should use all the available threads on my CPU? Is there any sort of flag I can add? I plan on using 11 threads because I want one thread to handle my GPU folding. I hear this is a good practice.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Just curious, but how come the 6.30 client is on the professor's FTP and not on the main download page? Thanks for the link to the guide. So if I follow that guide, I should only have one instance of the client running and that client should use all the available threads on my CPU? Is there any sort of flag I can add? I plan on using 11 threads because I want one thread to handle my GPU folding. I hear this is a good practice.
There is a download link to a zip file containing the client executable on the high performance clients download page. It's just simpler to download the executable directly, and that file is hosted in a different directory.

Yes, a single client will use all the available threads. If you want to use 11 threads, use the -smp 11 flag instead of just -smp.
Old October 5, 2010, 02:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, I have followed to guide linked by 10e and the client is running, but I think there is a problem. Apparently, it downloaded a new core: FahCore_a3.exe and then it does a whole bunch of other stuff. When it goes into the "Entering M.D." part, it's supposed to start working on the unit, right? But then it just says "Going to send back what have done" which is 0/500000 and then it says "Done." It sends results and proceeds to do this again, minus the downloading of FahCore_a3.exe. Should I post the log? I'll check my configuration parameters to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Edit: I just restarted the client and it fixed itself... Not sure what happened, but it is definitely working now. Thanks so much guys!

Last edited by bkh2; October 5, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Let us know what kind of PPD you get on that sucker! (and any OC you have)
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Folding on 11 threads @ 4059 MHz and one GTX 275. GTX275 is pulling in around 7621 PPD and the CPU says 50889 PPD Perhaps I should let it run a little longer to get a better average.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Folding on 11 threads @ 4059 MHz and one GTX 275. GTX275 is pulling in around 7621 PPD and the CPU says 50889 PPD Perhaps I should let it run a little longer to get a better average.

Yeah let it run for a while. Also, when you get some results sent it, after a few days check the EOC stats page (bkh2 - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats) to see if you got the credit reported by your monitoring program.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the heads up. I am still really new to this so all that info is really helpful. For what am I looking on that page? The summary at the top or the charts and graphs below?