Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Folding GT240

For the contest, I've decided to fold with my son's XFX GT240. Which system tray client would give me the most PPD?

6.23 or 6.32 ? Thanks.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
F@H

go with the latest, -advmethods flag. i prefer the console, except when i have a bunch of cards to deal with.

edit : bring the shaders up on the 240.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't use system tray. Use the console client. Much more stable last I checked (months, maybe years ago). Either way, I have continued to use the console client. Why fix it if it ain't broken.

For system tray, there used to be a problem where the protein viewer thing would crash. Dunno if that still happens.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

System tray is fine, but just don't use the viewer to watch the 'molecules.'
Fold for team #54196
Old October 2, 2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
F@H

if i forget the gpu fah running and start/close a 3d app, i get bsod's. so yeah, using console takes out the 'if' when running sys tray
Old October 2, 2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Use 6.23. The newer version of the client will end up giving you GPU3 work units, which have lower performance than GPU2 units on pre-Fermi GPUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't use system tray. Use the console client. Much more stable last I checked (months, maybe years ago). Either way, I have continued to use the console client. Why fix it if it ain't broken.
There is no difference in stability between the system tray and console clients. The only difference is the user interface. I personally prefer the system tray client because it doesn't occupy any space on my taskbar and it is also easy to pause and resume folding.
Old October 2, 2010, 08:52 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Use 6.23. The newer version of the client will end up giving you GPU3 work units, which have lower performance than GPU2 units on pre-Fermi GPUs.

There is no difference in stability between the system tray and console clients. The only difference is the user interface. I personally prefer the system tray client because it doesn't occupy any space on my taskbar and it is also easy to pause and resume folding.

ive been hiding taskbar items for many years, google 'hideit' :)
Old October 2, 2010, 08:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ive been hiding taskbar items for many years, google 'hideit' :)
Or you can just use the system tray client in the first place and remove the need to screw around with any extra applications.
Old October 2, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

For system tray, there used to be a problem where the protein viewer thing would crash. Dunno if that still happens.
Yeah I don't use it.

6.23 it is. Thanks Zero.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Is it most of the new WUs in general that tank performance? I used the newer client with -advmethods on my 8600GT, so far it's gotten a 11163, 11166, and a 6601. The PPD on the 6601 was about 1.4-1.5k, which is in line with what the card used to put out, but the PPD on the 111xx WUs have been 1.7/1.8k so far. I'm not going to be monitoring that card much, so I'd like to know if the newer client will be unstable/inconsistent in terms of production.