Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default SMP install guide for Folding @ Home

Please note: as of January 2012, you will need a 16 core/thread computer to run bigadv. Please only use the bigadv flag outlined below after January 2012 if you have a computer capable of 16 threads.

Here's a very simple guide to setting up the SMP folding client.

There are 3 requirements for running version 6.34 of the SMP client.
1. You must have a recent dual core processor, and a quad core is highly recommended.
2. Use the -smp or -smp # switch in the command line at all times(where # is the number of cores you wish to dedicate i.e. -smp 7).
3. Use the big setting when configuring the client.

Create a folder for installation. For Vista and 7 users C:\Users\{yourname}\FAH is recommended to avoid permission issues. If you're still running XP, use C:\FAH. Do not use C:\ProgramFiles\FAH.

Download the client here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-win32-SMP.zip and extract to your new directory.

It's suggested you rename your executable file to something easier to type like fah6 instead of Folding@home-Win32-x86.

To configure the client, you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges. In XP, type cmd in the run box while using an account with administrator privileges. In Windows 7, click Start, type cmd, right-click on the cmd.exe in the menu and select Run as Administrator.

From the command prompt, change to your FAH directory by typing cd C:\Users\{yourname}\FAH or cd C:\FAH. Then type fah6 -configonly -smp

Here comes the fun part, all the questions and options. The default option is shown by the client in square brackets, like [no]

Username: Your name here
Team Number: 54196
Passkey: (Required for bonus points, available here: Folding@Home )
Ask before fetching work [no]: No
Use a proxy [no]: No, unless you know you are using one, then enter the info
Acceptable size of work units [normal]: big You must use big to get SMP work units
Change advanced options [no]: yes
Core priority [idle]: idle If you are running GPU clients as well, you should set them for low when configuring them
CPU Usage 5-100 [100]: 100
Pause if battery power is being used [no]: no
Interval in minutes between checkpoints 3-30 [30]: 5 or 10
Memory in MB to indicate available: Hit enter to use max memory. SMP requires a minimum of .5 GB per core.
Set -advmethods flag always [no]: yes
Ignore any deadline info [no]: no
Machine ID 1-16 [1]: 1 is fine if you are only running the SMP client. This number must be different for each client running on the same machine.
Launch automatically, install as a service [no]: no
Disable CPU affinity lock [no]: no
Additional client parameters[]: -smp
IP address for viewer []: enter.

Whew, configuration done. Now, create a shortcut to your renamed fah6.exe.

Drag the shortcut to your desktop and double click the shortcut to start SMP folding. Welcome to the HWC folding team!

BIGADV
But what about BIGADV, I hear you cry? Can't I get more points with that? Yes, you can, but there's some more requirements. You'll need an overclocked CPU with 8 cores visible to windows, which means an i7 860 at 3.5 GHz minimum with HyperThreading turned on in the BIOS, or an i7 920 at 3.4 GHz or higher with HT turned on in the BIOS.

If you don't know what HyperThreading or HT is, I respectfully suggest you stop now and be happy with your SMP folding rig.

Still here? OK. You'll have to already have a passkey, and have folded 10 A3 core units (SMP or -bigadv) in order to receive bonus points for -bigadv units. I'd highly suggest running the SMP until you have returned 10 units, as that will only take days instead of weeks.

Assuming you already have your SMP setup done as shown above, run cmd as an administrator, change to your FAH directory, and run with -configonly option.

Now hit enter until you see:

Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]: Type "yes"

Hit enter again until you see:

Set advmethods flag always ..... [no]: Type "no" If you don't type no here, you will NEVER get -bigadv units

Hit enter again until you see:

Additional client parameters []: Type "-smp -bigadv"

Hit enter until the client exits.

Run your shortcut from the desktop. If your client was already working on a SMP work unit, it will finish it before trying to download a -bigadv unit. Be forewarned, the -bigadv units typically take up to 45 minutes a frame, and up to 4 days to complete. The faster they are completed, the bigger the bonus and the higher your PPD will be.

Now that you have your SMP client running, go to this thread to see how to see up HFM.net. It will calculate your PPD including the bonus for early completion of units. How to set up HFM.NET and FahMon to monitor Folding@home progress. Now with videos.

*Further options/pictures/clearer grammar will be edited in as I experiment and have time.

Last edited by chrisk; November 15, 2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added 16 thread requirement for bigadv
Old September 22, 2010, 04:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great.... I'm assuming you're going to be running bigadv units on that?

The only things I do differently are to always change the machine ID from default.... (saves me a lot of grief when/if I install a second client (like GPU) and forget to change it on that one), and in the case of SMP + GPU units on the same rig, you want the SMP at the lowest settings and GPU set higher, otherwise the GPU client will be completely starved for CPU cycles.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 22, 2010, 08:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've also found that it is much easier to get Version 6.30 of the client to work as a service in Windows 7 / Vista than the older MPICH-required client. I find this is a good way to run it because it can be remotely manipulated via the service manager in Windows.

That is, as long as you either turn off Windows firewall or configure it to allow "Remote Service Management" in the exceptions area.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old September 22, 2010, 09:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll update it tonight with the -bigadv requirements and how to set that up. I'll play around with the service stuff when I have a bit more time.
Old September 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thanks Sugar.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 28, 2010, 09:26 AM

My System Specs

Is there a reason why you suggest not installed it to the Program files directory?
Old September 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Permissions under vista/win7, especially when it comes to wanting to share the folder over an internal network for remote monitoring.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 28, 2010, 09:37 AM

My System Specs

Hmm. Can't say I've ever ran in to an issue like that. I guess I have my computers setup differently then.
Old September 28, 2010, 10:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... I spent a good day trying to get my win7 folder shared so that an XP pc could see it... tried everything in the book to no avail. Finally ended up using the win7 PC as the main monitoring PC as I had no problems getting the XP folder recognised.

Old September 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So the point of another setup thread is because....?

And you do not have to use BIG to get SMP units. I have it set to normal and I still get SMP3 units.