Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong here? Messed up PPD or setup. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/35874-what-am-i-doing-wrong-here-messed-up-ppd-setup.html)

Rison September 3, 2010 12:09 PM

What am I doing wrong here? Messed up PPD or setup.
 
I had to lol at my own topic.

Anyways. Here's the scoop.

System:
see specs listed on my spec page.. it's all watercooled with EK waterblocks / etc.
OS: Win7 Home Premium
Clients: CPU 6.30, GPU GPU3 client

Problem
When running CPU and GPU client, the CPU was registering 40,000 PPD and the GPU is 16,995 PPD. This hasn't changed for the past 3 months on client 2685.
Due to heat, im turning my systems off - and turned my GPU off yesterday. I check HFM.net today and without my GPU running, the CPU client is at 57,000 PPD exactly.

I skoffed at people when they said they were getting 50k PPD on the clients (2685 to be precise) because I could never see that much on my system. However now i'm boggled.

Boggled I tell you!

WTF am I doing wrong.?... running the GPU client doesn't help me any?

Theories, explanations.. I don't go on many forums other than this or NCIX, and have 0 time to research this.

My first thing i'm going to try is -smp 11, and run the GPU client on the core that isn't in use.. other than doing this manually in windows, I've heard of programs like Prifinity or something. Well, I could try that when my folding rig gets back into working mode.

Help a folder out! Way To Fold

3.0charlie September 3, 2010 12:47 PM

Totally normal. Your gpu client is stealing cpu cycles. As you mentionned, use prifinitty to lower the gpu client priority or use a single cpu core for the gpu client.

_dangtx_ September 3, 2010 01:02 PM

yup,but even with that one will suffer, cant make all happy.

power draw wise its more efficient with just the cpu(some 200 watts less perhaps)

geokilla September 3, 2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 424253)
Totally normal. Your gpu client is stealing cpu cycles. As you mentionned, use prifinitty to lower the gpu client priority or use a single cpu core for the gpu client.

Damn you beat me to it.

I'm starting to notice that this sorta PPD "problem" only seems to affect people with Core i7 that have 8 threads doing SMP/bigadv folding. I haven't noticed such a problem when I had my Core 2 Duo and with my Phenom II X4 doing SMP folding.

lowfat September 3, 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 424265)
Damn you beat me to it.

I'm starting to notice that this sorta PPD "problem" only seems to affect people with Core i7 that have 8 threads doing SMP/bigadv folding. I haven't noticed such a problem when I had my Core 2 Duo and with my Phenom II X4 doing SMP folding.

I never had the problem w/ VMWare/Linux folding either. I had 5 GPUs and was still pulling 32k out of an bigadv. And the system was never laggy.

Windows client however..... :blarg:

_dangtx_ September 3, 2010 01:47 PM

disabling ht will 'disable' bigadv which i nturn will 'disable' big numbers lol.

so keep going the cpu way for now.

Charloz24 September 3, 2010 02:18 PM

My 980x is doing 50 000 ppd on those bigadv unit with or without my 2X gtx 460 ..... So in my case my GPus doesnt steal cycles.....

Zero82z September 3, 2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 424265)
I'm starting to notice that this sorta PPD "problem" only seems to affect people with Core i7 that have 8 threads doing SMP/bigadv folding. I haven't noticed such a problem when I had my Core 2 Duo and with my Phenom II X4 doing SMP folding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 424286)
I never had the problem w/ VMWare/Linux folding either. I had 5 GPUs and was still pulling 32k out of an bigadv. And the system was never laggy.

Windows client however..... :blarg:

The problem has always existed. The difference is that the A3 core is better at taking full advantage of CPUs compared to the A2 core, and the bonus program means that PPD is now much more sensitive to TPF changes than it used to be.

lowfat September 6, 2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 424253)
Totally normal. Your gpu client is stealing cpu cycles. As you mentionned, use prifinitty to lower the gpu client priority or use a single cpu core for the gpu client.

Is there someway to set & keep affinity for the SMP client, if I were to only want to use an -smp 7 flag? It fails to set affinity for the SMP client.

Zero82z September 6, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 425567)
Is there someway to set & keep affinity for the SMP client, if I were to only want to use an -smp 7 flag? It fails to set affinity for the SMP client.

Try Bill2's Process Manager instead. I know for a fact that it will work.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 PM.