Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 08:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Angry End of folding :-(

some months ago i decided to stop folding with my graphics card, the reason being that it broke twice in the space of 2 months and would undoubtedly have gone on doing the same thing ad nauseam.

i kept folding with the CPU though, but this also gives me problems with Windows that gets corrupted and i keep having to repair it or do a complete reinstall.
So, starting today, no more folding of any kind for me; too bad really, but i don't like to live in the constant expectation that very soon something will go wrong somewhere and i will have to interrupt my life for the life of constant folding problems.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ah thats too bad , Thanks for your contribution !

---

Folding should'nt be killing your hardware or your windows like that ... Unstable OC perhaps ?
Old September 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

uhh... alright, cool. But in reality, hardware doesn't die from folding unless it was already defective and on the way to dieing, or if it wasn't run in spec (dirty power from psu, overvolted, running too hot, etc.). I don't fold simply because it is expensive, power-wise. I'd love to start folding again if someone would pay my electricity bill
Old September 1, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No offense ment, but if you're running into that many constant issues while folding, its not the folding thats causing the issues. The folding is just showing you that something else is wrong with your setup, and my first guess would be your power supply isnt providing clean power or it is overheating and causing failures, either that or its a bad overclock. Windows corruptions and failures just dont happen from running the SMP client, unless another issue is present to cause them.

Many people on here have rigs on folding for days, months and even years without issue. Ive had my GTX460 folding consistantly at 65c for about a week now without a single issue.

But, in the end, its your choice to stop folding, and we'll be sorry to see you go. Unfortunately I suspect you'll be troubleshooting something soon enough, regardless if you quit. Good Luck.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 1, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with Sagath, your problem is most likely elsewhere. I leave my rigs folding gpu & cpu constantly without any problem. I will pause the clients to game and then put them right back on when I am done. Any issues I have are related to my overclocks. (And the fact that my machines hate everyone except me. When I leave for work it is only a matter of time before my homies do something to piss them off so they stop folding )
Old September 1, 2010, 11:07 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
No offense ment, but if you're running into that many constant issues while folding, its not the folding thats causing the issues. The folding is just showing you that something else is wrong with your setup, and my first guess would be your power supply isnt providing clean power or it is overheating and causing failures, either that or its a bad overclock. Windows corruptions and failures just dont happen from running the SMP client, unless another issue is present to cause them.

Many people on here have rigs on folding for days, months and even years without issue. Ive had my GTX460 folding consistantly at 65c for about a week now without a single issue.

But, in the end, its your choice to stop folding, and we'll be sorry to see you go. Unfortunately I suspect you'll be troubleshooting something soon enough, regardless if you quit. Good Luck.
I agree too! I have 4 computers (4cpu + 2 graphic card) that fold 100% since may. It's been a very hot summer here, all is overclocking and everything still run 100% fine!

But it's your decision! Perhaps you would like more folding if you can point out the culprit of all problem. First thing to check for sure is the Power supply....

Thanks for your contribution to the team nonetheless!
Old September 1, 2010, 12:53 PM
Banned
F@H

sorry about your troubles man. so you did check everything, like mem and hdd, and temps are in check?

if you leave prime running, does it do the same? maybe mobos going?
Old September 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

it seems like everything is ok, mem tested good a while ago, temps are never above the low 50's for the CPU even when working at 100%; HDD is in excellent condition, etc...

what i will check, if i still have the same problem without doing any folding, is the OC.

will tell you what happens, if anything.

tks all for the tips! :-D

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:07 PM
Banned
F@H

cool and thanks for the production/strength of character so far!

ps im thinking somethings not playing nice due to temps, after a while like a little chippie on the mobo rated for 80c and it working very close to the max said rating :)
Old September 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hey Jacques very sorry to hear about your issues.

I can say that I will add a '+1' to the comments by others here; something else is most likely the culprit. Except for my vacation time this summer, my folding rig folds CPU + multiple GPUs for 30-40 days straight before even rebooting. My main rig will usually go a few weeks-1 month before being rebooted, folding 90% of the time. I ahve yet to have one piece of hardware fail, with overclocked cpus and gpus.

Hopefully you sort out your issues. As already mentioned, your contributions have been, and always will, be appreciated!!!
Fold for team #54196