Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 07:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great to hear!!!!

These kinds of incompatabilities can be difficult to track down, and in my experience can also be almost impossible to resolve once they rear their ugly heads. Personally... whenever I run into something similar, I'll try the easy "fix" by uninstalling programs, but if that doesn't resolve the issue I'll normally just go for a fresh OS install. Just like a new virus/trojan that your AV doesn't pick up, you can easily spend days trying to root it out, or you can spend a couple of hours re-installing the OS.... I personally prefer the couple of hours. ;)

Just went through something like this with an old(er) thinkpad.. everything was slow as molassis, and the most obvious cause was the fact that it had had 6 or 7 different AVs installed/uninstalled over the last few months..... fresh install of XP, and everything was back to normal.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 7, 2010, 08:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i think it's happened to me twice that i could not get rid of a virus and i then went the short route and used the Acronis backup. works well every time.

if everything is still running well 24 hours from now, then i'll be wearing a nice wide smile.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Also make sure you have the latest version of Boinc.
Old September 8, 2010, 07:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

everything this morning is still running fine, and i do have a big wide grin on my face; first time in many months after so much frustration.
the problem was an incompatible program, as simple as that, but not easy to find.

Poem@Home folds proteins, so i'm folding, whatever people say.
I don't use the graphics card for folding because when i was doing it the Nvidia card broke down after 2 months, twice in a row; i don't want that to happen again.

There are only 7 of us (only 3 are active) doing work for Poem@Home; they do the same thing as Rosetta@Home, and it would be a good thing if more people would start folding for them and for team Hardwarecanucks.com
Members of Hardwarecanucks.com

So, a big thank you to all who took the time to make suggestions and give me some help. :-D

Last edited by Gellidius; September 8, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear!!

Keep it up

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old September 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post
everything this morning is still running fine, and i do have a big wide grin on my face; first time in many months after so much frustration.
the problem was an incompatible program, as simple as that, but not easy to find.

Poem@Home folds proteins, so i'm folding, whatever people say.
I don't use the graphics card for folding because when i was doing it the Nvidia card broke down after 2 months, twice in a row; i don't want that to happen again.

There are only 7 of us (only 3 are active) doing work for Poem@Home; they do the same thing as Rosetta@Home, and it would be a good thing if more people would start folding for them and for team Hardwarecanucks.com
Members of Hardwarecanucks.com

So, a big thank you to all who took the time to make suggestions and give me some help. :-D
In no way was my question about folding vrs boinc meant to discourage your choice of distributed computing. Folding vrs Boinc is just the norm when it comes to describing the two different DC programs, and the only reason I asked was to get an idea of what you were actually running.

My Boinc output has fallen off in the last year, but I've got a system waiting for an RMA'd PSU, so maybe I'll put it to use on boinc once it's up and running. Is Poem one of the Boinc DC programs that takes advantage of AMD GPUs?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 8, 2010, 11:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ssw, i understood what you meant by Folding vs Boinc; i just wanted to remind people who might read this that folding isn't done only with Rosetta or with graphics cards; i used to run both Rosetta and Poem, and decided at some moment to
"fold" only on one of those two.

i can't say anything about AMD GPU's/Boinc.