Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2010, 05:48 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

waking up this morning i had the same problem as before.

i tried to start different programs, including word pad and clean mem;

i get one of those answers in a small window that opens up:

--Cannot initialize Opera due to lack of mem: module 3
--not enough storage is available to process this command (start clean mem)
--unable to create new document (open a word pad doc.)
--unexpected error; quitting.

it does seem to be memory, right?
is the mem. voltage adjustment called "DRAM" in Bios? if so, to what value should i set it? right now it's on auto and i have no indication about the actual value used.
if i look up Everest OSD, it has DIMM at 1.95v. and DIMM VTT at 0.98v. Is it one of these two? and does anyone have a good idea to what value i should increase the voltage or
should i just make small increases until it's stable?

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you have no idea what to do, don't overclock. You should at least set the BIOS settings associated with overclocking to manual before you start overclocking. This way, you're in control of your voltages and you know exactly how much juice each chip is getting, etc.

Go back to stock and check your RAM with memtest.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not convinced you've got a hardware problem when I look at the messages you're getting. Sounds more like a memory leak and/or conflict between the different apps/programs you're running.

You mentioned folding and you mentioned boinc... are you running both? What kind of other background tasks are you running?

In layman's terms, what I suspect is happening is that one of the programs isn't releasing physical memory locations when it's finished using them, and as such over an extended period of time those locations become "blocked" for use by other programs. The longer the system is running (crucial to folding/boinc), the bigger the chance that all of those locations will be filled and sooner or later some program is going to error out because the system won't be able to allocate memory resources.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i guess the best thing to do for me now is to go back to stock clocking; that will tell me if it's the memory or the OC.
will do that right now and see...

from what you say SSW, i don't fold, but only use Boinc (i thought that Boinc, when used for Poem@Home or similar was folding)

see you later...and thanks!

Old September 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

background tasks running: SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, Advanced SystemCare, IOBit Security, Spyware Blaster and ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

Old September 4, 2010, 09:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's an awful lot of background security running. I'd recommend disconnecting yourself from the i-net (if you're concerned about beasties getting in) and disabling all of them, and then running your boinc without making any changes to your hardware settings. If the issue doesn't come back, then one or more of those programs aren't playing nice in the sandbox with the others.

I seriously think you've got a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

you're right, a lot of them, but they all catch beasties that others don't even see; that's the reason.

Old September 4, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post
background tasks running: SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, Advanced SystemCare, IOBit Security, Spyware Blaster and ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
Are you worried about the government invading your computer?

You don't need half of that. Spybot is outdated compared to SAS and SAS is far superior. The other 4 get rid of completely they aren't needed at all.

I'm sure or hope your running a router on your internet connection which resolves the need for ZoneAlarm.

I'd start by doing this first.. then see what happens instead of blaming hardware.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post
you're right, a lot of them, but they all catch beasties that others don't even see; that's the reason.
Where do you hang out on the WWW that you need all that crap????? I use Windows firewall and MSE A/V and have yet to have a single problem. THen again, I don't really surf anything over rated PG13 and I don't download torrents.
Old September 7, 2010, 07:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Things are looking good for now; OC is and was ok, as when i used stock clock i still had the same problem; after that i eliminated Spyware Blaster, then IOBit Security 360; it seems like this last program was causing all the problems (some incompatibility).

It's now been running for 25 hours, with Poem@Home full blast at 100% on all 4 cores, and NO problem so far.