Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, I will keep that in mind from now on, changed it up now its all good, whats the approximate PPD I should expect with standard SMP client? 8 cores? CPU is running at 3Ghz?
Old August 27, 2010, 11:33 PM

My System Specs

I am going to take a guess and say around 8-9k.
Old August 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

With normal SMP you should be seeing about 8-12k PPD depending on the unit. It's good that you stopped folding -bigadv because an i7 running at 3GHz is not fast enough to complete -bigadv units within the preferred deadline. However, if you are ever interested in overclocking your CPU to around 4GHz, then -bigadv would be the way to go since it provides substantial PPD improvements over normal SMP.
Old August 28, 2010, 09:35 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
With normal SMP you should be seeing about 8-12k PPD depending on the unit. It's good that you stopped folding -bigadv because an i7 running at 3GHz is not fast enough to complete -bigadv units within the preferred deadline. However, if you are ever interested in overclocking your CPU to around 4GHz, then -bigadv would be the way to go since it provides substantial PPD improvements over normal SMP.
So true!

An i7 overclock no problem to minimum 3,8 ghz, and at 3,8 ghz it give me 30 000 ppd on the newer bigadv unit. (2685, 2686, 2692)
Old August 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I will look into that for sure, but I still need to get a CPU cooler before overclocking. Right now im trying to manage with stock cooler, so there is tons of room for improvement. I also havent really overclocked before, other than my vid card. so still a bit new to that area. I have heard lots of good things about the Noctua D14, is it worth the $90 ? NCIX has the U12 cooler on sale right now for $50. what should I go for?
Old August 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I ran a i7 920 at 3.6 on a $30 Coolermaster Hyper 212+. YMMV.

You have just started folding as well, so you should try to get a dozen or so SMP units done successfully beofre attempting bigadv.

Did you get yourself a passkey?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, got a passkey and entered it. good to go, everything is running fine, got HFM.NET working too. all's good. Would like to get atleast a decent HSF so I can do some overclocking, might check out the new NCIX store in Markham and see what I can get there.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
Yup, got a passkey and entered it. good to go, everything is running fine, got HFM.NET working too. all's good. Would like to get atleast a decent HSF so I can do some overclocking, might check out the new NCIX store in Markham and see what I can get there.
You need to complete 10 regular smp units in order to qualify for the bigadv bonus. 80% of the smp units you do need to be successful. If you already killed a bigadv unit, that would count as one against you.

Just let the regular smp units fold for a while before attempting bigadv. Give it about a week, depending on how much you let it fold.

Make sure you request a folding tag (check the stickies above) and welcome to the team!

Chris
Fold for team #54196
Old August 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
When I left which was 12pm, there was still a long line up there. I'd estimate a 3 hour wait. Good luck!