Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New to HWC and F@H

Hello, I am new to the forums (well, I've been lurking for about a year now), and I am new to F@H.

I just started folding last night with my 1055t at 3.0ghz. My first Project that was assigned has 2 million steps. I let my computer run all night, to find out it is only 50% done in the morning. Is this normal?

I will be water cooling it soon, so I can run it at 4+ ghz, how much of an improvement will this bring? I have a set rate power bill, so I am thinking of grabbing a few more machines and having a room with computers dedicated to folding on gpus in the future.

Also, Should I be folding on my 5870 simultaneously with my 1055t? I have a very nice case with awesome ventilation.

Can I only see my points after this 2 million step project gets finished?
Old August 15, 2010, 08:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

How did you set up Folding@home? Did you follow my guide? Also, did you follow chriskwarren's guide for setting up HFM.NET to monitor your clients? If not, I suggest you go back and follow them. As for whether or not your performance is normal, that is impossible to tell without knowing what unit you are working on. Scroll up in the F@H window to where it tells you which project you're working on and let me know.

Running your CPU at 4GHz or higher should give a large performance improvement in F@H.

You could fold on your 5870 as well. Follow the instructions here first, and then download the 6.32 GPU client at the top of this page: Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

You receive points for work units that you complete. In order to see points, you have to fully finish a unit and then upload it to the project servers. You don't get points until that happens.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Welcome to the team imagi :)

As zero mentioned, we will need some more info to help you determine if your numbers are normal. Use this guide:http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post143366

It could take about a 1/2 day for your stats to show up. When they do, head to the Folding Tag request thread to get a folding tag that identifies you as a folding team member.

Welcome!
Fold for team #54196
Old August 15, 2010, 09:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the team imagi. I recommend you getting a temperature reading / control program if you dont have one. Watch your temps and turn up your fans if need be. The summer months are bad for high temps.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I use core temp, and am aware that my temps are about 10-13 degrees lower then actual, which is why I am only at 3ghz (stock cooler). When not folding I run at 3.5ghz with 4.1ghz turbo. My temps never go above 47 degrees (core temp reading).

I have followed your guide to set up FAH and believe it is correct, everything seems to be running fine. CPU usage hovers around 96%

I have not set up HFM.net, but will do so after this post. I will also get a folding tag promptly.

I am working on project 6702.

Thanks for the help and welcomes so far guys :)
Old August 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

For P6702 your performance sounds normal.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome!

The first time you set up SMP folding, you usually get a uniprocessor client. Just stop the client, delete work, queue.dat, unitinfo.txt and all should be good.

Heh I got no idea what my temps are for my Phenom II processors. For sure they're not low though
Old August 15, 2010, 02:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Not a good idea to delete good WUs for a few reasons. Just let it fold away until done :)
Fold for team #54196
Old August 15, 2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
F@H

fresh meat!!!

in the course of the wu it may slow down considerably, so that wil laffect your short term eta. no worries, its cool.

monitor your temps, and make sure the clocks are stable with prime95 or such. broken wu's = doodoo
Old August 16, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to the team !