Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 10:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
How would that help? The external exhaust cooler is worse than the stock one.
If he wishes to use a SFF rig (small case) would the external exhaust help keep heat out of the tiny case?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 13, 2010, 10:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If he wishes to use a SFF rig (small case) would the external exhaust help keep heat out of the tiny case?
With a decent SFF case it shouldn't be an issue either way.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:37 PM
Banned
F@H

those cards are more name than facts, but every little bit of heat less inside said case helps, i guess. turnaround for gpu wu's should be in single digit hours at most. id still pair a 350 dollar evga sl+xeon 3440 with 2 gtx 460's on the cheap. outfold the 980. wayy cheaper. more heat though :)
Old August 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
those cards are more name than facts, but every little bit of heat less inside said case helps, i guess. turnaround for gpu wu's should be in single digit hours at most. id still pair a 350 dollar evga sl+xeon 3440 with 2 gtx 460's on the cheap. outfold the 980. wayy cheaper. more heat though :)
What part of a Xeon 3440 not being fast enough to finish workunits in the timeframe the OP is talking about do you not understand? Learn to read for god's sake.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
With a decent SFF case it shouldn't be an issue either way.
True, and looking at a couple of reviews, the EE fans are louder which is a negative for a SFF, especially if it is to do any HTPC work. But it does get ~5c cooler temps in the case, which may be helpful if the SFF case he uses does not allow for a good cpu cooler.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 15, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm gonna do two builds instead of one now, since I can't find any single processor out there with a TPF under 2 min. 1090T and 980x seem to come close, but that's after some extreme overclocks which might not work out in a SFF system with a max of 6 power phases.

One system will be a dedicated low power 24/7 folding rig that I'm going to make room for in the basement. (also going to have to network it) The other is going to be a SFF rig for my own use with my current GTX470 for folding at night, I might get a 1090T and set oneunit SMP folding for it so it doesn't lose WU's when I have to shut off the system for a few days.

I'm probably going to hold off on the dedicated folder until the new Sandybridge CPUs come out, some of the rumoured TDP specs look very promising. Probably just going to start off with one of the CPUs with integrated graphics and have the CPU fold, then add GPUs as my bigger paychecks come out.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I recommend going i7 instead of getting an AMD hex-core. With HT, i7 quads are still much better for F@H than the AMD chips.