Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking Electricity, the source of folding.

I notice some of you people, on the forums/IRC that have tons of Folding power, would you continue to fold if you had to pay your own utilities bills?

What if you had to pay an extra $20-$30 per month?

So how many of you pay your own bills?

As for myself, I only fold when PC is idling. EG surfing the web or downloading. And yes I pay the utilities myself.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

:\ if one can afford to build a dedicated folding rig, I'm sure they can throw some extra coin in for the energy bill, besides it's just like making a $30 donation every month to the cancer society, except you're actually the one helping the cure <3
Old July 14, 2010, 12:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I was only using $30 more a month I wouldn't have stopped folding....
Old July 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
Banned
F@H

i try to stay away from power hogs, usually. dam utilities, ive made quite the donation to hydro over the years lol
Old July 14, 2010, 12:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I pay extra every month but I don't mind because it's for a great cause. The only reason that I've noticed a larger power bill is because of my girlfriend telling me about it. If our monthly budget wouldn't allow me to fold 24/7 I would definitely cut back.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

what do you mean "if you had to pay your own utilities bills?"? I do.

100K+ PPD is not for the weak - especially long term. it costs a 'lot' more monthly.. especially through the summer months. The added extra costs of air conditioning is prohibitive.. because the air conditioner(s) run 24/7 also.. I have a 15,000 btu upstairs, and 9000 btu downstairs, and it's still very warm in parts of my house. A heat pump is my next purchase for central air + move a small air conditioner for my garage.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:42 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would fold more if I paid utilities; right now, the household circuit I am limited to folding on is maxed out (being a basement apt). Next year when we move I will have more room to expand folding capabilities and PPD (hopefully to make up for the PPD 'lost' from the switch from Linux to Windows Bigadv).
Fold for team #54196
Old July 14, 2010, 05:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

I pay my utilities here and that's what stopped the BOINC'ing for me. PEI gets raped @ 13.68 cents a KW/h so with crunching + heating my house in the winter I was paying over $500. Even now with heat off in the summer we're paying $200 just for appliances and electronics. Time to invest in a windmill I think.

Old July 14, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^^ omg that's crazy 13.kwh. wow never realized how lucky we are here in orillia only at peak times we pay 6.kwh on none peak times it's 3.4 kwh. but when i had the house i was not into folding so i can't really say what i would do.

edit i just never realized how good it is that orillia makes there own power even in the great black out orillia had power we always have POWER!

Last edited by gingerbee; July 14, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 14, 2010, 05:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You have to remember that PEI does not generate most if any of its power, it buys most of it out of province from Quebec and from New Brunswick, hence the hiked up rates due to 'transportation' and the fact out of province power generation companies can charge more. Ontario to my knowledge completely powers itself so that power is regulated internally.