Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Update On The v7 Client

Prof. Pande has posted a status update on Stanford's up-coming new client.

It's supposed to be an all-in-one miracle client capable of managing all the different clients (Classic, SMP and GPU) from one interface and eventually across multiple machines.

From his blog;

Quote:
Here's an update on our v7 client efforts. The v7 client is a complete re-write in order to make the client more reliable, simple to maintain, and easier to include features that donors have requested. The first versions will not have everything that donors have asked for, but there will be some significant changes, such as the integration of classic, SMP, and GPU clients, the ability for a single client to handle all of these (eg multi-core + GPU) simultaneously (via multiple cores), a cleaner and more reliable GUI, much better and sophisticated tools for 3rd party developers, and in time the ability to use the FAH client to manage multiple machines easily.
The console version of the v7 client has gone through internal testing and we're starting a very limited alpha release. There are definitely some rough edges, but I'm excited to see it get this far. Assuming there are no show stoppers, I hope that we'll have something ready for open beta testing in a month or two, maybe sooner.
If they can pull this one off I will believe in miracles...

Old June 26, 2010, 01:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

This looks like an effort similar to jedi's folding tool.

Would be very good for the project to get something like this running!
Fold for team #54196
Old June 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
This looks like an effort similar to jedi's folding tool.

Would be very good for the project to get something like this running!
As long as they can avoid too many teething problems it will make F@H a lot easier to set up and maintain. If it works it would help bring back some of the Folders who have given up on Folding due to setup problems.

That's a big If tho...

Old June 26, 2010, 03:41 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote from FAH addict:
Quote:
Also instantly noticable will be a new GUI, and for developers, much better tools to support monitoring the client. In time, it is hoped that it will be possible to use one copy of the client to manage cores across multiple machines, but it should be stressed that this is a longer-term aim
If I understand it correctly that would mean the client would be able to combine multiple computers working on 1 client?
Old June 26, 2010, 04:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
Quote from FAH addict:

If I understand it correctly that would mean the client would be able to combine multiple computers working on 1 client?
That'd wreak havoc with the time bonus PPD..... SMP2 on 3 quad cores with TPFs of 4 miniutes each? Divide the work by three and then look at the bonus......... ;)

At the very least it would allow those of us with hexa cores and another quad to run bigAdv.........

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 26, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Very promising. Hopefully they'll be able to keep a decent timeframe. Their progress with SMP2 and GPU3 recently has been a good sign, and hopefully it'll continue.
Quote:
Quote from FAH addict:

I think it means that you'll be able to use one client to manage other clients on other PCs. I don't think it would make much sense to have different PCs folding from a client based on one PC, since if the main machine goes down, it would take everything with it.
Old June 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Very promising. Hopefully they'll be able to keep a decent timeframe. Their progress with SMP2 and GPU3 recently has been a good sign, and hopefully it'll continue.

I think it means that you'll be able to use one client to manage other clients on other PCs. I don't think it would make much sense to have different PCs folding from a client based on one PC, since if the main machine goes down, it would take everything with it.
That's the wrong way to think of it.... (clients and servers).

Think of redundant parallel computing instead. Several internally (or externally I suppose) connected PCs with the client parcelling out a percentage of work for the same WU to each available PC. Once a PC is done the work it has been given, it'll look for leftover work to do, or possibly pick up work from a PC that's gone down.

Not only do you stand a chance of burning through WUs (Stanford keeps telling us that some projects benefit greatly from quicker completion of the whole set) you also have the benefit of not losing a whole WU if a PC craps out.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote from FAH addict:

Hi,

I'm the author of that article and one of the admins on the FAH-Addict website. I'm sorry to say that the intended meaning was only that the client would be able to control cores working on separate machines, with their own clients. I've updated the article to reflect this.

Sorry for any confusion
John
Old June 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post
Hi,

I'm the author of that article and one of the admins on the FAH-Addict website. I'm sorry to say that the intended meaning was only that the client would be able to control cores working on separate machines, with their own clients. I've updated the article to reflect this.

Sorry for any confusion
John
Thanks for clarifying that and welcome to the HWC Forums.

Old June 26, 2010, 08:22 PM
Banned
F@H

very good. and prps for getting in here and make it clear.