Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's the wrong way to think of it.... (clients and servers).

Think of redundant parallel computing instead. Several internally (or externally I suppose) connected PCs with the client parcelling out a percentage of work for the same WU to each available PC. Once a PC is done the work it has been given, it'll look for leftover work to do, or possibly pick up work from a PC that's gone down.

Not only do you stand a chance of burning through WUs (Stanford keeps telling us that some projects benefit greatly from quicker completion of the whole set) you also have the benefit of not losing a whole WU if a PC craps out.
But again, that's still centralized, and I believe network latency would be too high for a workunit to be divided across different PCs. It wouldn't be efficient. In any case, that isn't what's going on here, so there's not much point in speculating further about this.