Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding in ATI system /w Nvidia for Physx

So just slapped my 8800gt in my system yesterday using the 257.15 drivers that allow Physx with ATI cards. The real reason I want it in here is not for Physx, since I will barely use it, but it is so I can pump out some additional PPD for F@H! I would just like to know how to setup GPU folding so that it runs ONLY on the 8800gt and not my 5850. What do I need to do to setup GPU folding for the 8800gt? Thanks in advance
Old June 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as your 5850 should be your primary card your i believe the shortcut should look like this causing it to fold on your second card
Target "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home\Folding@home.exe" -advmethods -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -gpu 1
Start In C:\Users\Arinoth\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home
Old June 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright so I downloaded GPU3 to try that out and I made the shortcut and put those flags in, tried running it and got an error message saying i was missing cudart.dll from my system. So I went to "C:\Users\headsh0t\AppData\Roaming\Folding@hom e-gpu" and copied all the dll files into the main install folder for the GPU client and that fixed the error message. Tried running from the shortcut again and when I hover over the taskbar icon it shows as "Working 0/0" and then eventually it tried connecting to the servers but it would goto "Closed Connections" and keep going through that same cycle. So I tried putting those flags in by opening the main executable, going to Configure and putting them under Additional Client Parameters. I opened the main .exe and it went back to "Working 0/0" and then it connects, and says it's downloading "Fahcore_15.exe" or whatever but then it just goes back to "Working 0/0" and goes through the same cycle. Another thing to note is that I was unable to bring up the Display (with Sys Tray client) to see what card it's running on in any of the instances I mentioned while I was running FAH.
Old June 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't seen anyone successfully get this to work. However, what I suggest you try is to download two instances of the GPU2 console client, set them up with the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 flags (no -forcegpu flags), and try to get both cards folding at the same time. Keep in mind that GPU3 will not run on ATI cards.
Old June 19, 2010, 01:09 AM
Banned
F@H

dude i had ati primary and 2 folding cards in there as secondary. regular drivers too

forget g80 in the shortcut. fiddle with primary card, and such to get it going.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've had mine working with 8800 for a while now, here's my shortcut for the folding
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu2\Folding@home.exe" -forcegpu nvidia_g80

I found that if I tried to use -gpu 1 it wouldn't work, I'd get error messages.

However I haven't tried it with the latest drivers and GPU3 client yet.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
dude i had ati primary and 2 folding cards in there as secondary. regular drivers too

forget g80 in the shortcut. fiddle with primary card, and such to get it going.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Could we have some more specific information please?

Last edited by Zero82z; June 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old June 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daygard View Post
I've had mine working with 8800 for a while now, here's my shortcut for the folding
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu2\Folding@home.exe" -forcegpu nvidia_g80

I found that if I tried to use -gpu 1 it wouldn't work, I'd get error messages.

However I haven't tried it with the latest drivers and GPU3 client yet.
So do you have your primary ATI card folding too since I notice that your shortcut shows as "Folding@home-gpu2"? Did you just set it up like regular multi-card folding and then add the forecegpu flag on the second client?
Old June 19, 2010, 12:33 PM
Banned
F@H

the g80 can give you issues. what i did(on a different install) is set whatever nv as primary. start folding, wait a few secs. close. swithch primary and then leave teh ati for primary so all the nv are folding while you can play your game on the ati.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:00 PM

My System Specs

I am trying to get an 8800GTS 640MB to work for PhysX and F@H alongside my HD5970. With the forcegpu nvidia_g80 -gpu2 flags in place I get the following error:
[02:56:03] CoreStatus = FFFFFFF6 (-10)
[02:56:03] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0xfffffff6
[02:56:03] This is a sign of more serious problems, shutting down.

I can change the flags to -forcegpu ati_r600 -gpu 0/1 and it works great.

Using the 197.45 drivers.