Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bigadv A3 units.

They suck.

28-30kPPD to 20kPPD on my two i7 folding boxes.

Any known way to force the A2 core for bigadv on linux? (both native and VM clients)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 2, 2010, 03:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have seen similar drops. I have lost ~8000PPD one one bigadv client alone. Many folks say this is now typical: Folding Forum • View topic - A2-bigadv vs A3-bigadv results

A2 was supposed to be phased out in favour of A3. I am not aware of ways to ensure A2 bigadv, but even if possible now, it will not shortly.

Edit: Don't have the project numbers in front of me, but I was getting ~17K PPD on my 3.6GHZ i7 with the vm, and with regular SMP2 I am getting ~13K.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; June 2, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:32 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote from folding forum: "From what I can tell, it is intentional that the A3 -bigadv's are getting fewer points than the old A2 -bigadv's. I think they thought the old A2 bonus was too high and are trying to bring them back to where they think the science is valued at."

That will hurt my production a lot :(
Old June 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lets remember that it's not just about the PPD....
Old June 2, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How are you guys running BigADV? Still within linux correct? Like it's not out for Windows yet? Reason I'm asking is because How To: VMware & Bigadv Folding has to be updated, well I haven't kept up with bigadv A3 folding. It'd be great if someone can help me update the sticky there.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Still using the vm you mentioned in your sig. Nothing changed that needs to be addressed.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 2, 2010, 08:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
How are you guys running BigADV? Still within linux correct? Like it's not out for Windows yet? Reason I'm asking is because How To: VMware & Bigadv Folding has to be updated, well I haven't kept up with bigadv A3 folding. It'd be great if someone can help me update the sticky there.
I would say don't spend too much time or effort updating it, because in the near future it will be obsolete anyway. A3 -bigadv will be moving to Windows soon, and when that happens the A2 core will start to be phased out.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Still using the vm you mentioned in your sig. Nothing changed that needs to be addressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I would say don't spend too much time or effort updating it, because in the near future it will be obsolete anyway. A3 -bigadv will be moving to Windows soon, and when that happens the A2 core will start to be phased out.
In that case, I'll update it later. Thanks for letting me know. Now I know I don't have to waste time figuring out what changed and what didn't for -bigadv folding
Old June 2, 2010, 09:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing changed for -bigadv folding anyway. All -bigadv clients already have A3 support out of the box, so no changes are needed to receive A3 -bigadv units.
Old June 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Yes, and it still works if it's image 1.1 or later as far as I remember. I don't think there is a need to update it.

For me the biggest problem with the 2684s has been instability, and the time it takes to fold 'em. Even my most conservatively OC'd i7 860 has failed them, at 63% no less. There goes two days of folding. This box has passed over 25 hours of LinX testing without a hiccup.

I have switched two of my five BigAdv rigs to WinSMP folding with the -bigadv switch added and 3072MB "requested" in order to be ready when the Win A3 BigAdv units come.

A3 tends to fold faster natively in Windows anyways. I'd say 15% faster in terms of time-per-frame, so I'm hedging my bets that this trend will (hopefully) continue with BigAdv A3 for Windows.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732