Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you post over at the Folding Forums about the problems you're getting with Project 2684?

Is your RAM stable? Temperatures in check?
Old June 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Did you post over at the Folding Forums about the problems you're getting with Project 2684?

Other folks over there at FF complaining about A3 units too. They are the bigadv equivalent of the 511s.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 4, 2010, 03:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know what you're talking about 10e - the other reason I asked, is because I had so many units fail on my 860 box.. about three in a row when they started getting the a3 units.. That, and it takes basically 4 days to complete a work unit now. Longer time = more chance something will go wrong, especially with these new units.
I just had both my i7 bigadv boxes fail their workunits last night, for reasons unknown - after about a day in of folding each.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

On my most reliable two i7 920s I've had them fail at startup, and on my one i7 860 it failed at 63%.

All three boxes have been memtested and Prime95/Linx stable tested for 24 hrs and this was while the GPU clients were running to make load as realistic as possible. Ie. Prime95 or LinX and GPU folding at the same time.

All three at their current settings have never failed an A2 BigAdv unit unless a power outage happened.

Also none of them exceed 70 celsius on any core while SMP folding or BigAdv A2/A3 folding. One, an i7 920 C0 that can do 4.0 Ghz at its current voltages, is at 3.8Ghz and is super stable, and yet has also failed two or three A3 BigAdv units at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Other folks over there at FF complaining about A3 units too. They are the bigadv equivalent of the 511s.
I happen to be one of them along with some guys from [H]ardOCP. I posted my logs to show them the issues. We'll see what happens. This better improve or my last two BigAdv folders will be WinSMP converts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I know what you're talking about 10e - the other reason I asked, is because I had so many units fail on my 860 box.. about three in a row when they started getting the a3 units.. That, and it takes basically 4 days to complete a work unit now. Longer time = more chance something will go wrong, especially with these new units.
I just had both my i7 bigadv boxes fail their workunits last night, for reasons unknown - after about a day in of folding each.
Yeah, that's horrible. We can't cherry-pick the BigAdv WUs. WinSMP is looking pretty sweet now even with the PPD hit.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; June 4, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:19 AM

My System Specs

So now that I have a machine again I'd like to start folding again. Is bigadv under Linux still the best way to go in terms of PPD?
Old June 24, 2010, 10:02 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
So now that I have a machine again I'd like to start folding again. Is bigadv under Linux still the best way to go in terms of PPD?
Difference between normal windows SMP2 unit VS Linux bigadv doesn't worth the hassle (and WU lost risk).
Old June 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Basically, a i7 920 clocked to 4Ghz will do ~16-20k PPD under windows SMP2 client with advmethods.
Under linux VM with bigadv, the A2 bigadv units will be ~30kppd, and the A3 bigadv will be ~18-22k ppd. So yeah, considering 1/4 of my bigadv in the past weeks are A3.. it's worth it.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.