Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 08:17 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Safe Method of Shutting down GPU clients?

I have been using both the close X on the console box and the Control-C key combination to shut down my gpu clients for gaming ect. Sometimes it shuts down fine and retains all work, sometimes it shuts down and loses all the work.
Is there a specific method to shut down the gpu folds and retain the work each time to avoid lost productivity?
I am also runing the vmware workstation and it has a suspend vm machine function.
This has worked great for retaining work while freeing up the machine for temporary realtime needs.
Is there a simular process/program for the gpu folders in Windows?
Old May 31, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just right click on the tray icon and hit quit. No issues..ever.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I just right click on the tray icon and hit quit. No issues..ever.
Yep.....

WRT "losing" some of your work when you shut down, there is a setting in the config which specifies how often work is saved, and I believe the default is 15 minutes. Considering that many of the GPU WUs are under 1 minute TPF, that's up to 15% that can be lost.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 31, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yep.....

WRT "losing" some of your work when you shut down, there is a setting in the config which specifies how often work is saved, and I believe the default is 15 minutes. Considering that many of the GPU WUs are under 1 minute TPF, that's up to 15% that can be lost.

Good point!
Old May 31, 2010, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

From Shredder's wording, I suspect he's using the console version of the GPU client. Try the system tray version, it can be paused or shutdown easily.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi
Old May 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The client saves its work automatically when you exit it with Ctrl+C or by clicking the X. If you're losing work, it means that something is going wrong in the shutdown process. If you can't figure it out, I would recommend setting up the clients again from scratch, and perhaps try the system tray version of the client.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just Right Click on the folding icon and Pause Work when I want to play a game and then Right Click the icon and click Resume Work when I'm finished gaming. I never hit Quit folding, Always Pause, Even if I have to restart my PC. I'v never had a problem losing info when its Paused
Old May 31, 2010, 10:32 AM
Banned
F@H

i just reboot winders. works every time :)
Old May 31, 2010, 11:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
I just Right Click on the folding icon and Pause Work when I want to play a game and then Right Click the icon and click Resume Work when I'm finished gaming. I never hit Quit folding, Always Pause, Even if I have to restart my PC. I'v never had a problem losing info when its Paused
I pause them if I am using the systray client.

Crtl-C as zero mentioned should shut down the console in an orderly fashion. Something must be up if you are losing work.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 31, 2010, 12:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice, I will try the systray version for a spell.
I did some testing with the dual gpu configuration files, specifically the cpu usage value.
Can anyone help me achieve full throttle out of both gpu cores?

On the 3870 x 2 configs are : CPU priority normal, CPU affinity set to a pair of cores for each of the gpu folds.
Attached Images