Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Noob folder doesn't know what he messed up

I was having problems getting the GPU3 client to start, so I figured I'd try FAH GPU Tracker V2. The program worked and my GTX 470 was blazing through the 600 point work unit at 12kppd. It was about 57% done when I decided to try the CPU SMP on the program. It didn't start, but it didn't bother me so I just fired up my previous SMP client I had used for the Chimp Challenge. Comp froze and crashed instantly. I then read the README (which I should have done before I did everything) and I found out that the A3 SMP core is unstable with this tracker.

Tried to start up GPU3 again after restart and now it won't start up either. Uninstalled all my clients and reinstalled the GPU Tracker program and none of the clients will start up now.

Is there any -forcegpu commands that I might need to use? I guess it doesn't help that I'm trying to use the newest beta client since I'm totally new to this. If I'm in over my head someone smack me.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
Banned
F@H

install it on another drive or folder. -local -forceasm
Old May 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

-forceasm worked for the console clients, thanks.

GPU Tracker still doesn't work for some reason though, I guess I'll figure that out after I'm done folding on cheap smart meter power.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use HFM.net instead.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I can't help you with GPU Tracker as I have never used it. You might want to ask jedi for help in the tracker thread.

I would uninstall all your folding clients and start over. After you have uninstalled, make sure to clear out the following folders:
Windows Vista/Windows 7 GPU client:
C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu

Windows Vista/Windows 7 CPU client:
C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86

Windows XP GPU client:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu

Windows XP CPU client:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Application Data\Folding@home-x86

Windows 7/Vista 'SMP2' CPU Client:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01

Windows XP 'SMP2' CPU Client:
C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01

There are files in there that the folding clients use, and if they are corrupt then you will have problems. You need to have 'hidden files and folders' enabled to see those directories.

If you still have issues after that, use HFM using this guide:How to set up HFM.NET and FahMon to monitor Folding@home progress. Now with videos.

And the post the exact errors you are seeing, copied and pasted from the log file shown in HFM.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 29, 2010, 06:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I was having problems getting the GPU3 client to start, so I figured I'd try FAH GPU Tracker V2. The program worked and my GTX 470 was blazing through the 600 point work unit at 12kppd. It was about 57% done when I decided to try the CPU SMP on the program. It didn't start, but it didn't bother me so I just fired up my previous SMP client I had used for the Chimp Challenge. Comp froze and crashed instantly. I then read the README (which I should have done before I did everything) and I found out that the A3 SMP core is unstable with this tracker.

Tried to start up GPU3 again after restart and now it won't start up either. Uninstalled all my clients and reinstalled the GPU Tracker program and none of the clients will start up now.

Is there any -forcegpu commands that I might need to use? I guess it doesn't help that I'm trying to use the newest beta client since I'm totally new to this. If I'm in over my head someone smack me.
The problem mentioned in the readme is that sometimes FahCore_a3.exe may crash randomly while running under the Tracker. I only had this happen to me a couple times but I figured I would put it in the readme anyway. I am not sure it is even a bug with the Tracker as I have not confirmed that it doesn't occur when running the SMP client without the Tracker. It may just be a bug in the core as it is still in beta.

To fix your problem with the SMP client try running install.bat in the Tracker's SMP folder. Enter your username and password to install the MPI service the same as with the standalone SMP client. This should fix your problem with the SMP client failing to start. If that doesn't work then go to Client -> SMP -> Delete WU. Then delete FahCore_a3.exe from the SMP folder. If neither of these fixes work then it is something more complicated.

To run the GPU3 client on a GTX 470 with the Tracker you shouldn't need to add any -forcegpu flags. Could you post your LOG.txt file from the Tracker's main folder and FAHlog.txt from the GPU client folder? Those files should give a better idea of what is going on. My guess is that the client was simply failing to get a WU. I have the GPU3 client running on my 2 GTX 480s and it sometimes takes awhile to get a WU. This is an issue with the work servers and not the Tracker or the GPU3 client.