Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
My wife would disagree with you. I used to have the v7 client on her machine, and she complained about it slowing down the machine constantly even though the priorities were set correctly. I set up Boinc on her system again a couple of weeks back and she hasn't noticed it running yet. That's the ultimate test for me.

Again, it is not a replacement for enthusiast folders. It's a valid option for the less technically inclined who want to help out.

Does the client resume on its own also? I would consider putting this on my womans machine as she leaves it running but does not like FAH for the same reasons as you mentioned.

Last edited by stoanee; February 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The default setting is that it resumes after 3 minutes of idle time. This can be adjusted, but I've never bothered.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The number of cores used and/or the % of CPU time used can also be adjusted under Advanced-> Preferences if you don't need the CPU to be competely idle during use...

Old August 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

For those also interested in what the difference is between Folding@home and Rosetta@home, sorry if this thread is old.

Folding@home tries to find the way how to simulate how a protein folds and ways that it can misfold into things like Alzheimer's.
Rosetta@home tries to find, based on the completed model of A protein (Which is thanks to Folding@home and similar projects), to try to figure out, based on the amount of energy a protein will accept to fold, how many different ways the protein can fold.
While doing this, Rosetta@home also is using the data to help improve Rosetta@home's algorithms for use in other fields, such as World Community Grid with the Human Proteome Folding project and others like FightAIDS@home.

Either way, Folding or Rosetta, they are all in the long term, doing the same thing. Folding Proteins to try to help the advancement of the Human Race and the fight against disease.

For ease of use, I use BOINC on my Gaming Rig and my Mac Mini. My Mac Mini in particular is now Crunching since August 1st, 2012 24/7 Rosetta@home for the Hardware Canucks team. I may be one of the 10 active members on Rosetta@home for the team, but I'm okay with that.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:56 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Either way, Folding or Rosetta, they are all in the long term, doing the same thing. Folding Proteins to try to help the advancement of the Human Race and the fight against disease.
And help big industry (besides pharma) to create better/different polymers. This used to be included in teh description on the Folding website but has since been removed. However afaik, the data is still also used for this purpose. Just an fyi.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
And help big industry (besides pharma) to create better/different polymers. This used to be included in teh description on the Folding website but has since been removed. However afaik, the data is still also used for this purpose. Just an fyi.
Thanks for clarifying. I put in my post "to better advance the Human Race" because I knew that the data was used in other fields other than medical, I just didn't know what fields.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

World Community Grid just released GPU Workunits that seem to work on OpenCL 1.1 capable AMD and nVidia cards: News Article

I'm crunching the Help Conquer Cancer nVidia WU on my GTX 550 Ti right now and the workunits are puny but I'm getting a lot of them. Has anyone tried this on AMD hardware yet? If I win one of those Trinity chips I'll go at it 24/7 on these.

Old October 12, 2012, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
World Community Grid just released GPU Workunits that seem to work on OpenCL 1.1 capable AMD and nVidia cards: News Article

I'm crunching the Help Conquer Cancer nVidia WU on my GTX 550 Ti right now and the workunits are puny but I'm getting a lot of them. Has anyone tried this on AMD hardware yet? If I win one of those Trinity chips I'll go at it 24/7 on these.

Yes, yes X 1,000,000 times this!

This is going to complete the HCC project so fast, I run through WU in 2 minutes or less with a 7850, and got over 400 results returned in the past 24 hours and 100,000 WCG credits.

IT runs OpenCL for both AMD and Nvidia cards, graphics cards unable to participate.

Only downside, is that for people who use their computer while crunching, the GPU will lag the computer up, but that is not a problem for me, while the majority of my crunching is while I am away.

Proof of AMD:
Old October 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Several Boinc projects are coming out with AMD GPU stuff, seti@home and Einstein@ also now support AMD GPU's.

now that summer is over, my rigs are starting to crunch again!

My Boinc Stats
Old October 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingu View Post
Only downside, is that for people who use their computer while crunching, the GPU will lag the computer up, but that is not a problem for me, while the majority of my crunching is while I am away.
That downside becomes a non-issue if you tell the computer not to crunch while you're using it, which I think is default with BOINC (can't really be sure because it pulls settings from the cloud as well as your own config file).
If I use the mouse or keyboard, the crunching automatically stops and it restarts again after 30 seconds of me leaving the computer idle. Note however this may not work quite well if you game with a game pad (which is not considered an input device for "idle") or watch movies and whatnot.

Your Radeon 7850 destroys my new GTX 660 Ti in that project BTW