Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2010, 08:53 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Stuck - FILE_IO_ERROR

Reran the batch file 3 times, started up FAH and everything seems to start correctly (can post a screen shot if needed) and it shows IO error

Also - is there a website that has an explanation for the terminology that shows up, like Entering MD, Extra SSE boost?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - last few lines in the command window:
Entering M.D.

Extra SSE boost OK.
ter

Writing local files
Size of work/wedata_05.bed not what saved.

Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
e Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
Old May 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
MVP
F@H

I restarted again and it started running but quit - same IO error.

Resource Monitor shows 4 instances of Fahcore_78.exe, CPU showing about 50-55% load, yet it was running on CPU 0 to 6, CPU 7 was parked.

After I got the IO error message, Resource Monitor is showing 1 instance of Fahcore_78.exe still running, with CPU 0, 2, 5 and 6 active? Then a few minutes later, Fahcore_78 was terminated.

Any ideas? Perhaps uninstall Folding@home and reinstall?
Old May 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this for Running SM2? If so give it a full re-install and follow the SMP2 Guideline that is posted in the section again. Hopefully it will work second time around.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Had the same issue last night. The only way I could get rid of it was doing the following:

- Delete SMP2 client and its folder
- Reinstall up to point where the console closes for the first time (after telling you that it installed properly)
- Add the -config flag to the target in the shortcut
- Put in your name, team, passkey, etc
- Make sure you go into Advanced Options and make sure you don't have Proxy selected by default
- Open shortcut properties again and NOW you can delete the -config flag and ADD -spm -advmethods
- Relaunch application

Basically, I found that if you launch the application with the -smp -advmethods flags BEFORE you launch with the -config flag and properly set up your account you will get the IO error.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
MVP
F@H

Weird. I started it up again and it stopped. I left the command window open.

Left the house for a couple of hours; when I got back, it had restarted and has been running since.

What I know about computers? They are quirky. Luckily, this one turned around, so far and it's at 60% completed, except it's only maxing out at 50% on one core although it's bouncing from core to core.

Doing some googling, I did find this snippet from the foldingforum - and that's what I had done. I reconfigured just after the start of a unit, stopped and changed the name to Beavers... Some of the other searches seemed to indicate similar problems if a multicore cpu was processing a single core WU:

6.2x SMP Windows client will trash a work unit if you switch client modes in the middle of a work unit, i.e. if you start and configure your client without the -smp switch, the client will download a CPU work unit. If you then add the -smp switch in the middle of that CPU work unit, you will get FILE_IO errors and the work completed is lost. Wait until the WU is completed before switching. NOTE: A feature request/bug report has been filed to have a start up saftey check so WUs are not trashed, similar to the start up check if you try to run more the one fah client with the same Machine ID.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:46 PM

I keep on getting the same issue with one of the boxes I am trying to start up. Total pain in the butt.

Basically it goes one of two ways. Either:

- add the -config flag and you go into the config menu, complete it and then...voila, start downloading a single core WU because you didn't put the -smp and -advmethods flags

- the exact opposite of the one above. You put in the -smp and -advmethods tags and suddenly you aren't folding for the proper team. If you exit out and try to config, it throws IO errors. Very frustrating.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 4, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I keep on getting the same issue with one of the boxes I am trying to start up. Total pain in the butt.

- add the -config flag and you go into the config menu, complete it and then...voila, start downloading a single core WU because you didn't put the -smp and -advmethods flags

- the exact opposite of the one above. You put in the -smp and -advmethods tags and suddenly you aren't folding for the proper team. If you exit out and try to config, it throws IO errors. Very frustrating.

You could try the -configonly flag which should cause it to exit before downloading a W/U giving you time to add the other flags to the shortcut.

or

add the flags during the config, they give you the option to "set -advmethods always" and the -smp flag can be added under "additional parameters".

One or the other should work...

Old May 4, 2010, 11:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

The flags aren't mutually exclusive. Run -smp -advmethods -config, or just delete the client.cfg file in the F@H directory and run the client with just the first two flags.

The first time you run the client, it will automatically go into the configuration menu even if you did not use the -config flag. -config (or -configonly, which runs the configuration menu and shuts down the client right after) is only necessary when you want to reconfigure the client, either because you want to change something or because you messed up and need to fix a setting.

I shouldn't need to say this, but if you follow the guide EXACTLY, it will work. Don't guess, don't try to fill in any blanks, just follow each step to the letter and you will have success. Trust me; I've done this a few (dozen) times ;).

Last edited by Zero82z; May 4, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:01 AM

Yup. Working now.