Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2011, 03:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You can 'install' FAH where ever you want. As for 'killing' a SSD, my 2p and 4p folders are using SSDs without a single hick-up.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
Rookie

hey guys. I started reading about this a couple of days ago. I have like a zillion questions but first, whats the purpose of this gigantic project? I mean, do you get paid or some kind of reward for lending your pc to do massive calculations? I mean, to do this properly I imagine you need to have a good pc.
ty
Old February 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3uz0r View Post
hey guys. I started reading about this a couple of days ago. I have like a zillion questions but first, whats the purpose of this gigantic project? I mean, do you get paid or some kind of reward for lending your pc to do massive calculations? I mean, to do this properly I imagine you need to have a good pc.
ty
First off you don't get paid to do folding. The folding project contributions are more like making donations. The main purpose of the F@H project is to do protein folding to help find cures for various diseases. F@H is also non profit meaning any results the project comes up with anyone is free to use them. You also don't need a massively beefy system to contribute to the F@H project. Just about any computer built within the past 5 years or so(in some cases even older systems) would be able to contribute to the project however you have to weigh the effectiveness of the systems obviously newer systems will be able to complete work units faster and more efficiently than an older computer. The big main reward would most likely be contributing to find a cure maybe even a cure that could save your life one day. I suggest you read through the F@H FAQ section here: Folding@home - FAQ it covers most topics of the F@H project. Also if you have more questions or have trouble getting started don't hesitate to start a new thread in this section and ask specific questions.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rookie

I will check that out! I didn't know it was such a serious project. I will try to help in any way I can. tyvm !
Old April 5, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been a while since I did old fashioned smp folding, seems to me it is supposed to max load your cpu. Mine is not and I do have the -smp flag set as well as prioritiy.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

I think u need the -advmethods flag as well...
Old April 3, 2014, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Hey guys, I'm very interested in starting to fold. I do have a question though - how long until I receive my passkey? I sent an email last evening and tried again this morning, but am yet to receive an email with my key.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You may have to fold a bit first. But I am not sure. Maybe ask Chrisk our captain.
Welcome to the fold.

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]
Old April 4, 2014, 07:41 PM
Rookie

I there a way I can set an idle powerload and working powerload? For example, medium while working and full when idle? Also, what are the prerequisites for the computer to be identified as idle?

Edit: Aw man, I tried to change my fan curve in MSI Afterburner, so I changed my GPU to idle. When I started it back up, I lost ALL of my accumulated progress over the past two days. Is there anything I can do about this? The GPU is just stuck at ready and 0%.

Last edited by EagerBeaver; April 4, 2014 at 07:46 PM.