Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2010, 07:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I have a HD that has been "clicking" for over 2 years. No idea why but it works fine.
Works fine for now maybe, but it's on its way out. Modern HDs don't click unless there's some kind of mechanical problem, and it will fail eventually.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Nice work !!

You win 1st prize.

...I did'nt want to believe it could be the battery , man "I've never seen that !" ....hahah

-------

Here's my current hypothesis ;

My motherboard (maximus formula) has a slide switch that enables the 'BIOS reset' pushbutton on the back...My cmos reset button has always been sticky , and the mobo slide switch is really loose.

I think I might have accidently moved the mobo BIOS switch into 'enable' , and with the bios switch on the back being sticky.....

Bottom line : the bios appears to have been shorted for quite some time......the battery even spat out the standard death spew....It was dead forsure.

New battery in , everything (so far) is working .

------

I've yanked a couple drives too......testing underway.We'll see what happens but thats 1 down 1 to go....

Glad to see you have resolved your issues... FWIW... I've replaced maybe 3 or 4 dead batteries in my day... it doesn't happen very often but does occur ... usually in older machines but not always. I once replaced a dead battery on a board that was only 3 months old. Bios kept resetting when machine was turned off... swapped in a new battery and problem was resolved.