Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Using less CPU with ATI cards?

Hey all i found this thread on OCN that changes some registry files to use less CPU usage with ATI cards.

The 2 files are on the link but here is what it says:

Any input? good idea/bad idea?

Quote:
I made a .reg file that will add the 4 variables and another to remove them. Can use them to add the variables before you start folding, then use the Delete one to remove them when gaming. This is of course if you are even having problems like I did with gaming. If not, at least the add variables .reg can be used for those that want an easy route to doing it. Hope they help.

Here are the variables values they change, you can always edit the .reg file yourself to change the Flush Interval to experiment if needed(be sure to save as "unicode" and not ANSI if you do change them). The 2 .Reg files are attached in .rar format below. Only tested these on Windows 7 x86, I don't think they are any different for XP/Vista or x64.

GpuAddVars.reg:
Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment]
"Flush_Interval"="128"
"Brook_Yield"="2"
"Cal_No_Flush"="1"
"CAL_PRE_FLUSH"="1"
GpuDeleteVars.reg
Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment]
"Flush_Interval"=-
"Brook_Yield"=-
"Cal_No_Flush"=-
"CAL_PRE_FLUSH"=-

Overclock.net - Overclocking.net - View Single Post - Some 4870x2 folding questions

Old April 17, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a big feeling that will screw something up. There's no free lunch....
Old April 17, 2010, 11:12 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have heard of the reg hack for ATI cards; I think sswilson folds with ATI cards he may be able to shed some light.

The foldingforum folks have tried them on different cards with only praise.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2010, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you have an i7 1366 system why would you be worrying about an ati card using up too much of your 8 usable work threads
Old April 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I would personally just add the variables manually. Here is a thread with instructions on how to do it: GUIDE: ATI Client - Lower CPU % + Raise PPD - [H]ard|Forum

I suggest a FLUSH_INTERVAL of 128.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If you have an i7 1366 system why would you be worrying about an ati card using up too much of your 8 usable work threads
Because if he plans on folding on his CPU as well, it will make a considerable difference.