Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Looks like it got a uniprocessor WU. Since you checked your flags to look like this, that should not have happened:

That does not explain the File IO error either.

Try uninstalling, and install in a different directory outside of Program Files.
Anti virus maybe?
Old May 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Anti virus maybe?
Looks like two separate issues.

1. Picking up uniprocessor WUs: Only time I have seen this is when the -smp flag is missing. Could be something else, but I have never seen it.

Remedy: triple check the flags in the shortcut. If it continues, I woulod like to see a copy and paste of teh entire log file, and see the 'arguments' line specifically.

2. FILE_IO_ERROR: seems to be a 'disk' error, or the file is in use or locked down. The "program Files" directory can be a problem sometimes if UAC is turned on, and antivirus could be restricting the cores use. Rights issue basically.

Remedy: First install outside the programs file directory, somewhere else. Make sure "Run as Administrator" for the install.bat. If still an issue, add an exception for antivirus program to not scan directory.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Seems to be working now at 100% across all four cores.

1% of 500,000 = ~6000PPD on the i5 750 @ stock speeds.

So basically, I have to finish 10 of these to qualify for bonus points?
Old May 3, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Seems to be working now at 100% across all four cores.

1% of 500,000 = ~6000PPD on the i5 750 @ stock speeds.

So basically, I have to finish 10 of these to qualify for bonus points?
Nope someone already did it for the team.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ah. Great. That means tomorrow night I can work on my overclocking on this processor instead of pushing to finish 10 units.
Old May 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Yea you're supposed to run Folding@Home off the root of say C drive.

With Windows Vista and onwards, you don't need to run DEINO. It's only good to run DEINO if you're using 32 bit and on Windows XP and shut down folding a lot. It's the only way to keep your work files saved, and even then it's only associated with the A1 cores. Soon, we won't need MPICH for A3 cores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That is most certainly not true.
Back when I ran Windows XP, MPICH + daily shut down of computer = No WU completed cus they always get deleted.

Also, I'd like to clarify that you can put the flags in here as well. I think I posted this before, but not sure where. You might want to add this picture into the OP. Where I have it highlighted is where you put the flags.
Attached Images

Last edited by geokilla; May 4, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 4, 2010, 05:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Back when I ran Windows XP, MPICH + daily shut down of computer = No WU completed cus they always get deleted.
That was not the fault of the client. I ran MPICH SMP1 for quite a while and I never had any issues of that sort, nor have I heard of anyone else having similar issues.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That was not the fault of the client. I ran MPICH SMP1 for quite a while and I never had any issues of that sort, nor have I heard of anyone else having similar issues.
It was a fairly common problem apparently. I used to fold for AnandTech, then Legit Reviews, no one really knew why it does that. I asked on the Folding@Home Support forums too I believe. They did say it have something to do with how Windows XP handles network connections, but that's bout all I can remember.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:

Also, I'd like to clarify that you can put the flags in here as well. I think I posted this before, but not sure where. You might want to add this picture into the OP. Where I have it highlighted is where you put the flags.
The passkey is supposed to remain private... can see it in your screenshot...
Old May 4, 2010, 07:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I know you can do that, but it doesn't always work properly, and I personally find it easier to put them in the shortcut.
Quote:
It was a fairly common problem apparently. I used to fold for AnandTech, then Legit Reviews, no one really knew why it does that. I asked on the Folding@Home Support forums too I believe. They did say it have something to do with how Windows XP handles network connections, but that's bout all I can remember.
Interesting. Well, I haven't heard of that happening before, but I won't deny the possibility. In any case, MPICH is still the best option, and since A1 units are pretty much nonexistent at the moment, it's unlikely anyone will have to deal with that problem.
Closed Thread