Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 07:00 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
  • Stop the FAH process (Control+C the client or stop the FAH service) or you may lose your work
I don't understand this. What is the 'client'?

I'm about 76% into my 2nd Work Unit, so I don't want to lose anything. But if I want to pause the process after it finishes 100% and before the next unit, what do I do?

I also want to stop the process so I can set up HFM.NET and then change the passkey for May 5th - will closing the Command Window stop it?

The tutorial covers everything up to getting it running, but nothing about it while it's running - i.e. pausing, stopping.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:57 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
I don't understand this. What is the 'client'?

I'm about 76% into my 2nd Work Unit, so I don't want to lose anything. But if I want to pause the process after it finishes 100% and before the next unit, what do I do?

I also want to stop the process so I can set up HFM.NET and then change the passkey for May 5th - will closing the Command Window stop it?

The tutorial covers everything up to getting it running, but nothing about it while it's running - i.e. pausing, stopping.
The client is the F@H program. You stop it by pressing Ctrl-C at the same time. When you do that, the black 'console' window will disappear.

After you have done the "Ctrl-C", you need to add a command to the shortcut for F@H in order to change the username and passkey. If you don't have a shortcut yet, create one and place it on your desktop. Then, in the "Target" area of the shortcut, type "-config" . You should look similar to below: (this is an example of the config flag only...the paths of the program will look different as the image is from an older version):

After you run F@H with the config flag, and have changed the user and passkey, remove the "-config" and start normally.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Thanks for your suggestions guys but I do no use a Windows login.
I said at the beginning of the guide that you need a valid Windows user account with a password in order to install the SMP client. If you don't want to set that up, then there's nothing else we can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
The client is the F@H program. You stop it by pressing Ctrl-C at the same time. When you do that, the black 'console' window will disappear.
Closing the command prompt window by clicking the X button at the top-right will exit the client as well.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:17 AM
Allstar

Thumbs up It's working...it's working!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it to work. A few errors on my part and a clearer understanding of the system parameters helped.

Maybe a repeat and I noticed that the original sticky has been edited to encompass some of these points.
  • Setup a login Admin account with password
  • Run CMD as Admin
  • When asked for a password it is your login to your computer.
  • Carefully type in user name and team number when requested once you've created your shortcut for folding with the aforementioned renaming on your desktop ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe" -smp -advmethods )

Thanks all for the help. Also a good noted config setup for the console client can be had here:

How do I reconfigure the console client options? - FaHWiki

So in the words of the world famous philosopher of our time...who has more midichlorians then your daily protein mix:

"It's working, it's working!!!"
Anakin Skywalker
Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Now to work on the PS3.

Cheers and thanks

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; May 3, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

EDIT: Right now when folding it is only giving me a 25-27% load on my i5 750. How come?

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 3, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
A few questions:

- The configuration never asked for my user name and passkey yet it started folding right away. Where do I put these two items in?

- Right now when folding it is only giving me a 25-27% load on my i5 750. How come?

Possibly when the first question is answered the other will come into place. ;)
If you are using the systray client; right-click the icon and select 'configure'
If using the console client; 'CTRL-C' to close it and add either '-config' or -configonly' to your shortcut and restart.

Sounds like you are processing a uniproc. WU, make sure the -smp and/or -advmethods flags are added...

Old May 3, 2010, 05:54 PM

Both flags are added. Still the same result.

Also, getting an LE_IO_ERROR.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
A few questions:

- The configuration never asked for my user name and passkey yet it started folding right away. Where do I put these two items in?

- Right now when folding it is only giving me a 25-27% load on my i5 750. How come?

Possibly when the first question is answered the other will come into place. ;)
Which client are you using? Sounds like you installed the regular cpu client...
Old May 3, 2010, 05:58 PM

I'm using the SMP client v6.2 client which Zero linked.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Use this guide to install HFM, and show us a screen shot with the work unit being worked on, and core folding.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post143366

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
Which client are you using? Sounds like you installed the regular cpu client...
Fold for team #54196
Closed Thread