Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
In discussing the rules, there has been talk it seems of people 'priming' bigadvs. It might not go over well, so i think it would be best just to set your bigadvs with the new user prior, and not worry about trying to time the submission for the exact moment of the contest open. If it does submit right after, OK but as a team I would not try this.
I think that's BS, and nothing is stopping the other teams from doing the same thing. As long as the points are being produced by machines that are being rightfully used (i.e. no illegal borgs or anything), there should be no debate about it.
Old April 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
In discussing the rules, there has been talk it seems of people 'priming' bigadvs. It might not go over well, so i think it would be best just to set your bigadvs with the new user prior, and not worry about trying to time the submission for the exact moment of the contest open. If it does submit right after, OK but as a team I would not try this.
Couldn't "priming" also backfire on those doing it... I mean if everyone tries to submit all around the same time so that the points come in at the start of the contest... couldn't that overload the servers and cause delays etc... in getting points awarded and new wu's...
Old April 16, 2010, 03:33 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
Couldn't "priming" also backfire on those doing it... I mean if everyone tries to submit all around the same time so that the points come in at the start of the contest... couldn't that overload the servers and cause delays etc... in getting points awarded and new wu's...
No, the servers should have no trouble with that.
Old April 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Alright guys, here we go X2. Rig 1 is attempting to run 3 Clients now, GPU. Fresh Install of everything should hopefully fix everything. Running as soultribunal right now but if it works I'll get ready to switch it over.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 16, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go Soul!!
Old April 16, 2010, 07:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default i7 bigadv ram

Hey folding gurus, does anyone know how your amount of ram would effect tpf folding bigadv? Currently running an i7 @ 4.2 with 6gbs ram. Memory usage hovers around 80-85%. I've read opinions that your rates should be better going to 12gbs, but can't find anyone who actually upgraded and how much that changed the tpf. Ncix has the kit I have already on sale right now (Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit), and I'm tempted to add to my system. Just unsure if this would make a real difference.

Ncix folder, ready for Monkey Business in May

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old April 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
shaw

I use 12Gb while Folding, and using the buildramfs command for 9Gb. Definitely helps tpf-wise.
Old April 18, 2010, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, I'm working on getting my lowly 10K points back in the game. Look like the gtx 260 is doing about 8k and I'll see what I can squeeze out of my e8400. I'll try to convince some of my buddies to start folding as well.
Old April 18, 2010, 02:27 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw View Post
I use 12Gb while Folding, and using the buildramfs command for 9Gb. Definitely helps tpf-wise.
I've never found that that the ram drive helped at all. TPF is around 28min 30sec no matter if it is on a mechanical drive, an SSD, or the ram drive.
Old April 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've never found that that the ram drive helped at all.
Ditto, also did not like losing the wu if the puter went down. I am using I7/4ghz/12gb ram with a tpf of 32mins.