Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 08:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

at least give us a link? :)
Old May 3, 2010, 08:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
at least give us a link? :)
Here ya go. I remember reading this last year, so I haven't read it lately but it should provide some info on this performance delta:

Folding Forum • View topic - Unuseful FLOPS in ATI GPU Client?

Of course not quite Zero82Z. There's always more:

Technically the -forcegpu flag does the following:

1) Bypasses the built-in GPU2 client "driver check" routines

2) Forces the client to use the architecture stipulated by the flag following the -forcegpu switch > ati_r600, ati_r700 or nvidia_g80.

There is no nvidia_g200 or nvidia_gt200 switch.

Note: Yes, you can use the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag on an nVidia client, and it will 100% fail. I've done it. Much fun to watch.

3) Tells the client which FAH"Cores" to download, which will use the libraries for CUDA for nVidia OR Brook/CAL for AMD (presently)

4) Depending on which core is downloaded in step 3), an appropriate work unit will be downloaded and processing commences.

In this case, 0o0 we would use the -forcegpu flag simply because the GPU2 client doesn't know what the heck an AMD 58x0 card is.

This is why you need to remove the amdcalcl.dll and amdcalrt.dll files. These are old and do not work on a 5xxx series ATI/AMD card. When you do this, the GPU2 client will auto-magically use the ATI/AMD (Brook)CAL DLLs that came with the Catalyst drivers, and these DO recognize the 5xxx series of cards.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; May 3, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Ya know, Zero, that's rather maddening. Why not explain it once, rather than just tell everyone they're wrong. It'll save time in the end, especially if you happen to be right.
Because I've already explained it several times, to various people in various places, and I'm not in the mood right now to write out a long post with the entire explanation. I already stated the general reason; maybe some other time I'll go into more detail, but there really isn't a need for me to say anything more.

It's not because ATI's architecture is inferior to nVidia's, or because Pande Group is biased or being paid off by nVidia. It's simply because ATI's architecture is different, and the client is not designed to make proper use of it. If anyone wants more technical details, look into the meaning of this statement by Mike Houston:
Quote:
We do not currently use LDS.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Here ya go. I remember reading this last year, so I haven't read it lately but it should provide some info on this performance delta:

Folding Forum • View topic - Unuseful FLOPS in ATI GPU Client?

Of course not quite Zero82Z. There's always more:

Technically the -forcegpu flag does the following:

1) Bypasses the built-in GPU2 client "driver check" routines

2) Forces the client to use the architecture stipulated by the flag following the -forcegpu switch > ati_r600, ati_r700 or nvidia_g80.

There is no nvidia_g200 or nvidia_gt200 switch.

Note: Yes, you can use the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag on an nVidia client, and it will 100% fail. I've done it. Much fun to watch.

3) Tells the client which FAH"Cores" to download, which will use the libraries for CUDA for nVidia OR Brook/CAL for AMD (presently)

4) Depending on which core is downloaded in step 3), an appropriate work unit will be downloaded and processing commences.

In this case, 0o0 we would use the -forcegpu flag simply because the GPU2 client doesn't know what the heck an AMD 58x0 card is.

This is why you need to remove the amdcalcl.dll and amdcalrt.dll files. These are old and do not work on a 5xxx series ATI/AMD card. When you do this, the GPU2 client will auto-magically use the ATI/AMD (Brook)CAL DLLs that came with the Catalyst drivers, and these DO recognize the 5xxx series of cards.
ok thanks for the explanation :) I'm going to pull my 5870 and plug in a 4650 for this month after all I guess..

From what I understand of that link, ati cards are less efficient because their cache can't be used by fah clients and the number of flops are cut in half? Why would the client want to do it twice on ati but not on nv?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Why would the client want to do it twice on ati but not on nv?
Because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
ATI's architecture is different, and the client is not designed to make proper use of it.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My patiently waiting has become almost impatiently waiting.... would love to see what my 480 SC would do with folding.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have been checking the Folding Forums daily for news. I have an idle 470.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Beta testing is going well for the people who signed up for it. From my understanding, the optimizations are being implemented but ETA is still up in the air.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:12 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

They had released a Fermi memory test for owners to try, and they have since gathered the data they wanted from that project.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 22, 2010, 11:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
They had released a Fermi memory test for owners to try, and they have since gathered the data they wanted from that project.
Yeah, I did that for a few days on my 480 SC..
I too check the fah-addict website daily.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.