Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

View Poll Results: Name of the HWC Team for the Chimp Challenge
DamBeavers 9 25.00%
LoonieBeavers 0 0%
Beavers_Gone_Bananas 16 44.44%
Chimps_EH 3 8.33%
chinookAPEs 0 0%
Dam Good Folding 7 19.44%
LoonieLemurs 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default Chimp Challenge 2010 - HWC Team?

This is more of a question to the Folding Captains now that we have them

The Chimp Challenge 2010 should be starting up around May 5th. The basic idea is a race to 20M points.

While we may not have the strength right now due to people being down, by the time it starts next month we could be a real contender? Maybe convince some of the NCIX/HWC crossover hitters to join with us? Or merge NCIX & HWC under one Canadian Banner?

I have a bit of hardware at my disposal I could setup temporarily with some help to get turn in some decent points.

Couldn't find all that much information who who organizes it (that's for you Folding Cap's to find out ), but here are the general rules: View topic - OFFICIAL 2009 CHIMP CHALLENGE THREAD - Maximum PC Forums

edit: I think it is MaxPC and EOC who help organize it. Maybe look there?

Maybe something to think about because it is coming up fast and I imagine we would need to get our name in the ring, and all members informed asap!

Unfortunately it looks like we would be competing against the likes of OCN who appears to have literally hundreds of people at their disposal (no thanks to thousands in swag ) but I think we could really pull it off if we get the heavy hitters going.

Last year's won with an average of 3.5M PPD and second at 2.8M

Last edited by FiXT; April 8, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do it...good exposure also.
Old April 8, 2010, 05:20 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think we should. MaxPC organizes it as far as I can see; I am not against joining up with another Canadian team if thats feasible, but we could try it on our own. It would be great exposure, and if we can get some folks folding for us who normally don't (ie. on other teams, don't usually fold period) we could get noticed.

I was confused when I looked this up earlier. I found all kinds of links for '09 and earlier. Overclock.net has a decent looking signup page here for their team, that could give us ideas:
[Official] Chimp Challenge 2010 - Signup Here! - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

The thing I noticed when looking at this earlier was that you need to keep the bigadv passkey private for the team; you can't publish it, as some folks might be inclined to submit bad WUs and 'unqualify' us for the bonus points. If we join, i think we should get some WUs done under the passkey to get the bonus setup with Stanford before the competition.

But as far as I know, you need to register a username for your team at MaxPC, and at the start date of the competition you put your points in. But for the life of me, I see no thread concerning this year's competition.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 8, 2010, 05:28 PM
Banned
F@H

20m points? well lads, ill get even older till i reach that goal
Old April 8, 2010, 05:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
20m points? well lads, ill get even older till i reach that goal
That would be 20 million for all of us combined. We all join one username (sort of like the folding_for_pscout user we did last year), and that username has to reach 20 million.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 8, 2010, 05:37 PM
Banned
F@H

oh,ok. you gusy scared me there for a moment.
Old April 8, 2010, 05:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm in to contribute as much as I can, but warm weather is quickly approaching and the computer being in my room. I'll see how I can deal with the heat.

And if we put it out around 800,000 PPD as a team every day like we do these days, 20M doesn't seem that far away.
Old April 8, 2010, 05:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have contacted one of the larger teams who have done this a few times with a few questions. Here are the guidlines from last year:

Quote:
Here's a couple of tidbits regarding the upcoming Chimp Challenge '09.

First, the rules:

1. First team to accumulate 20,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is Tuesday, May 5th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw!

4. Team captains are as follows: TBA

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only team captains are allowed to make changes to rules.

7. The official folding names are TBA

8. Have fun and keep it positive.
If we do this, we need a username that is monkey-related, or team name related.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I got, if they qualify:

- DamBeavers

- LoonieBeavers

- Beavers_Gone_Bananas
Fold for team #54196
Old April 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

LoonieLemurs?

I liked Beavers Gone Bananas
Old April 8, 2010, 06:31 PM