Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

View Poll Results: Name of the HWC Team for the Chimp Challenge
DamBeavers 9 25.00%
LoonieBeavers 0 0%
Beavers_Gone_Bananas 16 44.44%
Chimps_EH 3 8.33%
chinookAPEs 0 0%
Dam Good Folding 7 19.44%
LoonieLemurs 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
boggtrotter59, just curious, what do you have folding?
2 quads running the smp client, 7 dual cores running the regular client and around 20 videocards (9 machines total). No bigadv's... at least not yet... I was thinking of running the new smp client on the dual cores too... Is there any advantage to this? Haven't had time to try it yet...

Last edited by boggtrotter59; April 13, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I don't use smp2, but from what I have read, the smp2 on your quads would do well; for the duo, I have seen mixed reviews on the threads I have seen, especially if you have GPUs folding on the same rig. Looks like the dual cores are better off with the older smp setup.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I don't use smp2, but from what I have read, the smp2 on your quads would do well; for the duo, I have seen mixed reviews on the threads I have seen, especially if you have GPUs folding on the same rig. Looks like the dual cores are better off with the older smp setup.
I am running the smp2 on the quads... I was getting excellent PPD before but this has dropped considerably... Both are stock clocked right now as I was having issues with the boards they were in... swapped both of they into better boards and plan on O.C.ing them again this weekend so they are back up to snuff. I think Dead Things did some testing when the client first came out and recommended sticking with the older client... never bothered trying it on the duals...
Old April 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I was thinking of running the new smp client on the dual cores too... Is there any advantage to this? Haven't had time to try it yet...
A3 units tend to provide slightly lower PPD with dual-core CPUs than A2 units did. They should still be an improvement over A1 units however.
Quote:
I am running the smp2 on the quads... I was getting excellent PPD before but this has dropped considerably... Both are stock clocked right now as I was having issues with the boards they were in... swapped both of they into better boards and plan on O.C.ing them again this weekend so they are back up to snuff. I think Dead Things did some testing when the client first came out and recommended sticking with the older client... never bothered trying it on the duals...
With the bonus, you will get significantly higher PPD with quad-core CPUs using SMP2 compared to SMP1. If you are seeing lower PPD, it is because it's not set up properly or you do not yet qualify for the bonus. Make sure you are using the correct passkey with all of your clients.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A3 units tend to provide slightly lower PPD with dual-core CPUs than A2 units did. They should still be an improvement over A1 units however.

With the bonus, you will get significantly higher PPD with quad-core CPUs using SMP2 compared to SMP1. If you are seeing lower PPD, it is because it's not set up properly or you do not yet qualify for the bonus. Make sure you are using the correct passkey with all of your clients.
O.K. thanks. I definitely qualify for the bonus... and have checked the passkey... It's issues I was having with the boards that was causing the problems... One board died on me (thanks Gigabyte) and the other machine I sold. Anyway, I've since swapped out the chips into different boards (P5Q-pro's) both of which I know are rock solid stable... I'll give it another shot this weekend... Both quads were netting me around 15K total when I first started using the new client...
Old April 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
O.K. thanks. I definitely qualify for the bonus... and have checked the passkey... It's issues I was having with the boards that was causing the problems... One board died on me (thanks Gigabyte) and the other machine I sold. Anyway, I've since swapped out the chips into different boards (P5Q-pro's) both of which I know are rock solid stable... I'll give it another shot this weekend... Both quads were netting me around 15K total when I first started using the new client...
If you're running GPU's with those quads which WU's they are running can make a significant difference in the PPD, my Q9550 could vary between ~8500+ and ~6200 ppd depending on whether the two GPU's had the 1888pt or 353pt WU's...

Old April 13, 2010, 09:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would like to see a new sticky with a guide to Just SMP2 and such setup. For all types of Formats/OS's. That might help us (me lol) out a bit :)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I would like to see a new sticky with a guide to Just SMP2 and such setup. For all types of Formats/OS's. That might help us (me lol) out a bit :)

ST
+1 to that, With lots of screen pics or even a Youtube how to video
Old April 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
If you're running GPU's with those quads which WU's they are running can make a significant difference in the PPD, my Q9550 could vary between ~8500+ and ~6200 ppd depending on whether the two GPU's had the 1888pt or 353pt WU's...
Hmmm.... never really paid attention to that. My Q9550 @ 3.65 was netting me around 8-9K and my Q6600 @ 3.4 around 6-7K initially. Both machines were running 2 videocards each... Thanks... that's something I'll have to keep my eye on when I get them back to their overclocked state.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post

ST
If you would like, I can write up a guide and you can sticky it. Let me know and I'll do it.

Last edited by Zero82z; April 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM.