Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 05:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You can also use a program called prifinity to give higher priority to one program over another; PriFinitty 2 - Edgemeal Software

I have a bigadv running 8 'cores', and two GTX 285s running one rig. I also have a TV Tuner recording shows, and a bunch of stuff like web browsing, etc. Runs no problems.

I have been looking for an excel file that used to be updated by a guy called legoman666. He used to keep it updated with all the power, ppd, etc for every video card. May not have been totally accurate, but good for comparison. I have looked for it since I saw your post, but could not find it for the life of me (the link I had bookmarked for it is now broken). Could have provided some more numbers on comparing the 240 to the 260, based on the results of several users.

If anyone sees that file out there and its updated, let me know!
Fold for team #54196
Old April 7, 2010, 05:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

I know Intel gives out more PPD than AMD but AMD is hard to beat price wise!
Old April 7, 2010, 05:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you are looking for a cheap, efficient system Amd has lots to offer. Not much for folding but still can contribute.

Your video cards will fold using barely any cpu resources at all, and if you find something slowing down due to the folding, that Prifinity program will allow you to get the apps that are more important than folding to get those cpu cycles that are needed.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 7, 2010, 05:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

What is the cheapest Intel Quad Core that money can buy, and what's it's average PPD?

I mean if it's 50$ more for a CPU-mobo combo and it has a big advantage over it's AMD counter-part, then I wouldn't mind paying extra.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
What is the cheapest Intel Quad Core that money can buy, and what's it's average PPD?

I mean if it's 50$ more for a CPU-mobo combo and it has a big advantage over it's AMD counter-part, then I wouldn't mind paying extra.

Well, a quick look at my local retailer (Canada Computers) shows a Q8300 for ~$169. Last time I looked, some projects were getting about 4k ppd, but I think this is different on smp2. LCB or someone folding on that cpu might have a better answer on that one.

If you are going for a Core2Quad setup, perhaps the best deal could be found in the Buy/Sell forum here on HWC.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 7, 2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
F@H

those have smal lcache and i wouldnt pay more than 100 bucks for a (used) intel quad unless it was a good 12 meg one . those put out some nicer figures
Old April 7, 2010, 06:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
No worries. Its why they have twin PCI-e Connectors. 125W each are capable of. So if it took less than 100 it would only need 1.

ST
Not 125W. 75W from the slot, 75W per 6-pin connector, and 150W per 8-pin connector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Well, a quick look at my local retailer (Canada Computers) shows a Q8300 for ~$169. Last time I looked, some projects were getting about 4k ppd, but I think this is different on smp2. LCB or someone folding on that cpu might have a better answer on that one.

If you are going for a Core2Quad setup, perhaps the best deal could be found in the Buy/Sell forum here on HWC.
A Q8300 will easily put out much more PPD than any AMD CPU clock for clock when it comes to running A3 workunits.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the correction Zero, I was going off the top of my head and couldn't honestly remember but all I was trying to get at was the Consumption per card.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 16, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What would the best quad core Intel cpu be, other than the I7 9X0, in regards to folding big wu? I am looking at building another quad core folding box but would like to use the less pricey quad cores if possible.
Old April 16, 2010, 06:11 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
What would the best quad core Intel cpu be, other than the I7 9X0, in regards to folding big wu? I am looking at building another quad core folding box but would like to use the less pricey quad cores if possible.
Definitely the 920 still. On average it still clocks higher than all LGA1156 CPU's and 6GB is cheaper to buy than 8GB.