Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 07:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default F@H Bandwidth Throttling / Traffic Shaping.

Ok, I think we've all been sitting at our desk at one time or another, and your internet connection grinds to a halt. Looking at HFM.net confirms the problem.

I have been all over google looking for answers, but the most I came up with is a program called Trickle, which is a linux-only program that provides a wrapper for old F@H clients.

Has anyone found a program or hardware device that will throttle F@H, that is OS independent?

Due to the time bonus' with F@H, I don't want to limit the internet connection to my Folding boxes.. but it sucks when my bigadv starts uploading while I'm in the middle of playing BF BC2, and my ping goes to 999. I would rather limit the upload to something reasonable, like 30KB/s.

I would reaaaaally like Stanford to implement something to their program natively, but that would be a long shot.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Would be nice if they did something like that. I ran into that issue when i was folding at home, however it seemed to have gotten better when i moved into residence as i had a lot higher upload speed and well the servers are capped at a certain speed so i never saturated or slowed down my connection (gaming/downloading) whenever a big adv wu was uploaded
Old April 4, 2010, 07:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Is there any type of traffic throttling capabilities in your router (if you have one?) There may also be a firmware available for your router (manuf or open source). Look up Quality of Service or QoS.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 4, 2010, 07:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Is there any type of traffic throttling capabilities in your router (if you have one?) There may also be a firmware available for your router (manuf or open source). Look up Quality of Service or QoS.
I have a crap-ass router from Belkin. It works fine, but doesn't have any QoS features. I have an unmanaged switch to boot.

At this point i'm not against buying a new router, and was thinking of VM'ing a linux distro to use as a gateway to the router I already have.. so I can limit 80 and 8080 - but that could cause problems downloading stuff off websites and such.

Quote:
Old April 4, 2010, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

just schedule the upload times to off hours. (there's a way to do that isn't there? besides you fold while playing games? doesn't that slow down said game's responsiveness?)
Old April 4, 2010, 08:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
just schedule the upload times to off hours. (there's a way to do that isn't there? besides you fold while playing games? doesn't that slow down said game's responsiveness?)
I have two computers that just fold / render crap for my girlfriend.
I normally turn off folding on my workstation when I'm gaming.
And there is no way to schedule the upload times to stanfords servers.. that i'm aware of.

Quote:
Old April 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I just checked my Linksys router and there is a QoS section under "Applications and Gaming", where the priority of application traffic can be entered. You can do it by application, and also by mac address. Priority can be set to high, medium, and low.

Try updating your Belkin router's firmware and see if they included it. I have attached where it is in my router (which is an older model, included in the screen capture).
Attached Images

Fold for team #54196