Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Smile New SMP2 p6040, Bigger But Not Big Enough

According to Fah-Addict a new project for SMP2 was released that is Much bigger than any previous SMP2 WU while not being quite big enough to classify it as -bigadv. Looks like these could take over a day to Fold for a decent Quad as well as using more memory than previous WU's. It does seem to have a nice bonus factor of 4.63 if you can get them done fast and requires the new 2.17 version of the A3 core though (which it will download automatically)

The original post from here;
Quote:
Peter Kasson has added project 6040 to the list of SMP2 projects.

This represents an increase in the system load for SMP2 projects, evidenced in the number of atoms contained within this new project: a grand total of 330,706. Most of the projects thus far have contained around 75,000 atoms, projects 6011 and 6013 being exceptions at 146,000 atoms each. This is not a sufficiently large number of atoms for the project to be classed "bigadv" (the current A2 bigadv units contain over a million atoms) but it is a step closer to bigadv units for the A3 core.

This project examines in detail the substance known as hemagglutinin. This protein is responsible for setting the flu virus upon potential host cells.

In order to fold these new units, version 2.17 of the A3 core is required. The core should be updated automatically upon receiving one of these units, if it hasn't already through another project.

Project 6040 is distributed by a Stanford server located at 171.64.65.54. Each unit is worth 1395 points, and has a bonus factor of 4.63. The units have a preferred deadline of 6 days, with the final deadline 2 days later.

Along with the increase in the number of atoms, you will notice an increase in the amount of memory consumed by the core. The memory usage may rise to 375MB with the -smp 8 configuration, and 300 MB with the -smp 4 one. It will also require an additional 60MB of disk space when outputting the unit results. Judging by initial observations, these units can be folded to completion in less than a day on a Core i7 processor, and within one to one and a half days on a Core 2 Quad or Phenom II X4.

Old April 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Are you folding SMP2 LCB? See any PPD reports on these?
Fold for team #54196
Old April 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Are you folding SMP2 LCB? See any PPD reports on these?
I'm not running SMP2 at the moment but should be back to it soon as I'm curious about these new WU's, got a new i7 lappy to take over most of the Crunching duties.

There isn't much news on the PPD performance yet i guess they are still too new, other then the original posting I found this thread over on [H] that seems to suggest better PPD at least with faster rigs; New A3 Project - 6040 - [H]ard|Forum.

So far I haven't even seen them mentioned on the F@H Forums unless I'm just missing it...

Old April 3, 2010, 06:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Just took a look in the folding Forums too and there was a thread, but it was somebody complaining out not seeing it in psummary.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 3, 2010, 06:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Just took a look in the folding Forums too and there was a thread, but it was somebody complaining out not seeing it in psummary.
Must be the old age thing again, or at least that's the excuse I'm using for missing it.

See that's why you were made a Folding Captain, to catch these things...

Old April 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. lets see how the chips fair at this one :)

Tags
a3 core , f@h , folding@home , smp2 , stanford