Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Building a dual GPU folding machine with one 16x and one 4x slot

After doing a rebuild of my HTPC (from a somewhat toasty and noisy Core 2 Quad/GTX260 based build to a much quieter and cooler Core i3/Radeon HD5770) I had a few parts available to build a dedicated folding machine.

The question I have is regards to the motherboard I want to use for this project. I want to use my Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 to put together a dual GTX260 folding machine as it is my only spare board with two PCI-E slots. What I am wondering about is the fact that one of the PCI-E slots is a 4x slot, from what I understand bus latency is more important than bandwidth when it comes to GPU folding. So am I right to assume that I should see similar results from both GTX260's?

Here's the board in question: Product Specs for GA-G33M-S2

Old March 27, 2010, 04:58 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A 4x PCI-E slot will not be a bottleneck for F@H.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A 4x PCI-E slot will not be a bottleneck for F@H.
Not even by a GTX260? Good to know, thanks
Old March 27, 2010, 05:10 PM
Banned
F@H

even in gaming itll do less than 10% damage it seems.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
even in gaming itll do less than 10% damage it seems.
Thanks that's good to know, I'll put the Core 192 one in the 4x and the Core 216 in the 16x then.

Now all I have to do is figure out VMWare to get the Q8200 doing a few SMP units, should boost my points per day a little higher than what I am used to just folding with the single Core 216 card.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:19 PM
Banned
F@H

wait you puting a quad in there? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

power stuff around the socket is better than other matx boards, but youll need some serious airflow around them
Old March 27, 2010, 05:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
wait you puting a quad in there? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

power stuff around the socket is better than other matx boards, but youll need some serious airflow around them
As for cooling:

• I am in the process of building some custom heatsinks for all of the MOSFETs as well as all VRMs on the board to keep it happy for a long time to come and let me overclock it as far as it will let me. A lot of the sinks I will be using were left over from the G4 Mac Mod build in my sig, as I replaced the board that was to use them.
  • The Northbridge is getting a monster little 25CFM Delta 40mm fan, so no foreseeable cooling issues there.
  • And I will be building a special case to keep everything very cool and happy. (read that last sentence as maximum airflow and a total disregard for noise output)
And I have a few ideas for keeping the GTX260's cooler and happier too:

Old March 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photograph View Post
Now all I have to do is figure out VMWare to get the Q8200 doing a few SMP units, should boost my points per day a little higher than what I am used to just folding with the single Core 216 card.
You would be much better off running the new SMP2 workunits with the Windows SMP client.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

i sugest a nice enzotech for nb. no need for a small noisy fan
Old March 27, 2010, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You would be much better off running the new SMP2 workunits with the Windows SMP client.
Can I run the SMP2 client alongside two GPU clients? I have tried to run the GPU and the SMP at the same time and i got an error stating only one client can function at a time.

Quote:
i sugest a nice enzotech for nb. no need for a small noisy fan
Noise is a non-issue for this machine as it will a headless box hiding out in my basement that only runs overnight while hydro rates are low. The fan pumps out enough air to possibly keep MOSFETs around the CPU happy as the fan is powerful enough to push itself around when powered up sitting on a table. I have a few big NB coolers from P45 and nForce based boards if I need more surface area. I'm not allowed to spend anything on new hardware for this build so even a new NB sink is out of the question.