Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 11:43 PM
Top Prospect

Default Calling all 9800gx2 folders!

id like to hear from all of the 9800gx2 owners there experiences with folding on this card.

what overclock setting do you use
what temperature produced
and outcome of ppd..

im just generally curious and would like to make a general list of results.
also,, what have you done to make your card run cooler.

for starters right now mine is running stock core and memory with 1782 shader,
running p5765 at 6099ppd at 74*c
and p10502 at 5698ppd at 75*c with the fan at 95%

looking forward to seeing your results!
Old March 24, 2010, 06:19 AM

My System Specs

I've always had to underclock my 9800GX2's when F@H'ing.

Temps were 90-95C when I was using two cards when some of the WU's.

PPD was generally ~10k per card on average.

You can try removing the casing, it might help for a few degress. You can also try reapplying thermal paste, although the new thermal paste didn't help me at all.
Old March 24, 2010, 07:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

PNY XL8R 9800GX2 in my CM 310 Elite ran at roughly 80 Degrees , 100% fan speed stock Clocks. It averaged 11K ppd (Depends always on WU)

EVGA SSC 9800GX2 in my CM Storm Scout Ran at 85 Degrees , 100% Fan Speed. It averaged 12-13 depending on WU.

These cards can handle the heat really well it seems as they never errored out on me except when stanford was having issues.

They are decent Folding Cards for sure.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 24, 2010, 07:51 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
PNY XL8R 9800GX2 in my CM 310 Elite ran at roughly 80 Degrees , 100% fan speed stock Clocks. It averaged 11K ppd (Depends always on WU)

EVGA SSC 9800GX2 in my CM Storm Scout Ran at 85 Degrees , 100% Fan Speed. It averaged 12-13 depending on WU.

These cards can handle the heat really well it seems as they never errored out on me except when stanford was having issues.

They are decent Folding Cards for sure.

ST
Both of those cards in one rig ST? Most folks I know who tried two GX2s or 295s seemed to have issues getting one of the GPU clients to work (ie. they seem to get three of four cores folding).
Fold for team #54196
Old March 24, 2010, 08:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Both of those cards in one rig ST? Most folks I know who tried two GX2s or 295s seemed to have issues getting one of the GPU clients to work (ie. they seem to get three of four cores folding).

Nope if you can see that One is listed in one Case, the 310 Elite, while the other is in a Storm Scout.

The one in the Elite is mated with a GTS250 from XFX, the one in the scout is paired with the 9800GT (The One).

However There is no problem getting multiple cards running really. After all 3.0 had 4 of these puppies on 1 rig folding.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've got 2 folding rigs with 4 gx2's in each, I've had other issues and havent had both boxes running at the same time so far.

For the most part the box that is offsite is underclocked to avoid issues, the midle cards run up to 100c and the outers 95, but I havent done anything to them, they're on a techstation withh some blowing and sucking fans, problem is its in a small room and warms up the place well. That box does about 40kppd so 10k/card 5k/gpu. Its been dead stable for the last year and a bit. I couldnt tell you specifics though I just dont watch it that closely.

Have an A-1 day!
Old March 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
I've got 2 folding rigs with 4 gx2's in each, I've had other issues and havent had both boxes running at the same time so far.

For the most part the box that is offsite is underclocked to avoid issues, the midle cards run up to 100c and the outers 95, but I havent done anything to them, they're on a techstation withh some blowing and sucking fans, problem is its in a small room and warms up the place well. That box does about 40kppd so 10k/card 5k/gpu. Its been dead stable for the last year and a bit. I couldnt tell you specifics though I just dont watch it that closely.

4Door! I've miss you buddy!

Yeah if there is one card that can handle the Temps its the GX2.

I'm sure 3.0 had the same but a little better room airflow because his cards never hit 100.

ST

Old March 24, 2010, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

good to hear,

im currently only using the gx2 to fold right now, i have a 5770 sitting above it,
so mine errors out on 1 core if up the shader strap to the next setting, but so far my temps have not gone over 80,
oh yea and mine is also a pny xlr8
Old March 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I found the OC headroom on these to not be ideal unless you have a card with a Flashed BIOS as they need more Volts across the boards to be stable at higher speeds.

And this card is no dream to Flash BIOS either given it has 3 onboard.

ST

Old April 3, 2010, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

thx for the responses thus far,
anyone else?