Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2010, 07:29 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Reboots problems....

My main folding rig sometime reboots itself (strange enought it ALWAYS happen when I not there for a long time , so it never happen in front of me) so I lost folding time. But I can't seem to find my problem... it's my I7 rig with the 9800 GX2 and can't seem to find if it's the gpus or the cpu that is the culprit. What I know is that never my client is giving error... when I reboot I restart the vmware and the 2 gpu client and everything return to is previous folding state... The problem is that is can run ok for 4-5 days, and another time it can reboot about every 24hr... Can it be the new GPU wu? I don't think temp are issue, because they are always staying at the same level (and can run ok for 4-5 days or even more) I also doubt it's an overclock problem as I never get failed wu.
Old March 20, 2010, 07:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
My main folding rig sometime reboots itself (strange enought it ALWAYS happen when I not there for a long time , so it never happen in front of me) so I lost folding time. But I can't seem to find my problem... it's my I7 rig with the 9800 GX2 and can't seem to find if it's the gpus or the cpu that is the culprit. What I know is that never my client is giving error... when I reboot I restart the vmware and the 2 gpu client and everything return to is previous folding state... The problem is that is can run ok for 4-5 days, and another time it can reboot about every 24hr... Can it be the new GPU wu? I don't think temp are issue, because they are always staying at the same level (and can run ok for 4-5 days or even more) I also doubt it's an overclock problem as I never get failed wu.
I'd do an overnight run of Prime 95 or other stability tester to make sure rig is stable, running memtest and Furmark wouldn't hurt either. That way you can rule out if it's a hardware issue...
Old March 20, 2010, 07:42 AM
MVP
F@H

Prime95 was done 48hours straight no problem right before I started folding with that rig... Oh and memory is not overclocked at all even downclocked a little...
Old March 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
shaw

Windows Automatic Updates?
Old March 20, 2010, 08:00 AM
MVP
F@H

No it's turned off.....
Old March 20, 2010, 08:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Try the following:
1. Right-click on My Computer
2. Advanced System Settings
3. In the "Advanced" tab, there is a section at the bottom called "Startup and Recovery". Select the "Settings" button in that section
4. Uncheck "Automatically restart"

That might shed some light on what is happening. I would double-check the Automatic updates too as I have had it happen where I swear that I had it set correctly and it wasn't.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 20, 2010, 08:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

Could be flaky power supply... check your voltages in Hardware monitor in bios...
Old March 20, 2010, 08:20 AM
MVP
F@H

Power supply is Silverstone Strider 850+.....

I uncheck the automatic restart, thanks that a good idea!
Old March 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
Prime95 was done 48hours straight no problem right before I started folding with that rig... Oh and memory is not overclocked at all even downclocked a little...
elliminate one problem at the time.. run the PC on stock for a wild , I know , the bidadv will suffer.